Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help with stellarium and connecting HEQ5 synscan

Hi all, i have been trying to get stellarium to control my mount but having no luck.. the mount is a HEQ5 pro synscan version 3.27 i am using a serial to usb, stellarium is set to COM5 which is where the USb is held in the device manager. in stellarium the telescope control states that this is connected but i cant get the scope to slew at all... also have the handcontrol set to pc direct... i cant understand what i have done wrong, is there anybody else that has had this problem?

Many thanks

Hi there

Have you downloaded the add on in Stellarium that allows you to control the mount.

hi, no i havent downloaded stellarium scope, as i was under the impression it wasn't needed as stellarium 1.6 intergrated this in to the new version so the HEQ5 would be recognised.. is this not the case? and do i need to download anything else ?

Many thanks

Cal

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with Stellarium. On my EQ5 Synscan, the serial cable will fit into both the handset socket and the autoguider socket. Are you connected to the correct socket? RS232 should connect to the RJ-11 socket on the handset.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

I can't help directly with your issue (I've only had Stellarium driving my mount once in the lounge - been clouded over ever since) - but I *can* confirm that the latest version of Stellarium will control the mount directly without the need for StellariumScope.

CdC = Cartes du Ciel

This is an excellent star mapping freeware program which will also control your mount.

You don't need to use PCDirect if you're connecting the PC to the handcontroller - it automatically recognises the connection.

You will need to load the ASCOM drivers for the HEQ5 mount.

When these are installed your planetarium package should recognise the mount.

This is usually selected from a drop down menu and is under "Celestron/ Skywatcher/ EQ mount"

When I used to contol my HEQ5 through Stellarium, I don't think I had the Stellarium scope downloaded. I also didn't have any of the ASCOM stuff loaded at the time. I never used the handset in PC direct mode with Stellarium either.

Archived