Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how cool is that

rowan46

walking back from the shops about 20 minutes ago my daughter looked up and said. "whats that one?" "Venus" I replied. "and that one by the moon?" she said "jupiter" I answered we both looked again for more to see but there was nothing just 2 planets and a moon. The stars are starting to appear now but for a couple of minutes the only things we could see in the sky were planets (and the moon) my daughter remarked "how cool is that"and I agreed. so what astronomical oddity made you think how cool is that?

Hi Rowan

I think to encourage a feel for astronomy and space In young people is very good idea the sense of wonder is without limits and they will be our future

(sorry that's a bit profound) but I hope you know what I mean I wish I had looked up sooner

Steve

Still very new at this so every new thing I see is a 'How cool is that?' moment. But specifically tonight tracking features on the Moon & finding Descartes, site of the Apollo 16 Moon landing (according to my Lunar 100 list!). Very, very cool.

Nice photo, Cath!

I saw the same image up on the Wirral yesterday evening about 5.45pm coming out of work. Just the moon and the 2 planets. Being a newbie still, I was pretty sure one of them was Jupiter but thought the other one was Mars - made the wrong assumption that Venus is always near the Sun! Got home, checked Stellarium, discovered my error and that I also had them the wrong way around - I thought Jupiter was the brighter of the two!

Anyway, an amazing sight, a pity that when I got home to Rossendale the clouds had rolled in and I couldn't get the 'scope out! :D

No matter how many meteors i have seen over the years, i always say "Wow....thats cool" when i see one. Sometimes i wonder if i am the only person on the planet that saw it and the only person that will ever have seen it.

It's never occurred to me that I may be the only person to have seen a particular meteor so that is another cool thing to point out to the daughter thankyou

It's never occurred to me that I may be the only person to have seen a particular meteor so that is another cool thing to point out to the daughter thankyou

I only feel this when i see a sporadic meteor. Not when i see one during a shower.

its like "wow..........how many people saw this one?"

My daughter and I looked at Pleiades through our binoculars a couple of days ago, we'd been looking at Jupiter's moons as well as our own moon but Pleiades got a big "how cool is that" response from both of us.

My 8 yr old described Pleiades as boring! :D

She does like a good planet though, which isn't too bad, but she constantly argues that, for instance, Jupiter is a plane. (She argues about everything....)

Anyway, my wife was walking back from a friend's house last night, with the 4 yr old daughter, and they saw the moon, Venus and Jupiter. Later when I got home, I pointed out Mars to them as well. I thought it was nice that they'd see 3 planets in one night.

My 8 yr old described Pleiades as boring! :D

... but she constantly argues that, for instance, Jupiter is a plane. (She argues about everything....)

My daughter is 8 too (I also have a two year old but she's less interested in the sky :(. ) Arguing seems to be a speciality for kids their age. A while ago I was trying to explain how everything with mass has gravity but that it's only weak so it's only noticeable in larger objects like planets. She argued about that for a while. She ignored the bit about it being a weak force and mocked the idea by walking around getting stuck to things due to her gravity. :)

I have a one yr old and all he does is throw my wireless mouse around - but at least it is tech related and often ends up under the scope tripod.

My 13 yr think its looks cool on the screen (pics) but I cant get him interested in coming outside with me!

Archived