Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William Optics Zenithstar ZS70 will arrive this week.

FLO

Steve, I have emailed you at FLO, but perhaps you can answer my question here. If not using the reducer with this scope, I guess there's a good chance there's not enough back focus and an extension piece will be needed? If so, what would you recommend in order to maintain the SCT threads?

Just had a thought :D

You have a TruTek filter wheel. If I remember correctly TruTek offer an SCT locking ring for your wheel that will enable it to fit directly to your Equinox 66 or the ZS70. I can't personally recommend it because it relies on a short thread depth (otherwise the male SCT thread would touch the filter carousel) but if that is what you want to do then phone Lee at Greenwhich (I think you bought the filter wheel from them) for advice.

Regarding an SCT extension tube, Bern at Modern Astronomy might have one.

Hope that helps :(

Steve

Cheers Steve. Not sure I agree about the adaptor. I had to get a rubber washer to stop it screwing off the end of the focuser SCT thread as there is no locking mechanism. It was definately the bit that was wobbling when I had it all attached.

I need the extension tube to achieve focus. Unfortunately I can not get focus with the setup as it is (camera - Filter wheel - scope). I can get hold of the locking ring, that's not the issue at the moment - Achieving focus is! I've contacted Bern and am awaiting a reply.

As it stands at the minute, if I went for the ZS70, with the SCT focuser thread I'd be in the same position.

Although perhaps you have some tips for getting that adaptor nice and tight? It eluded me and definately turned me off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I received mine today (not from FLO, directly from WO - I didn't know about FLO until I found this forum).

I must say, telescope looks and feels excellent. But it came with a lot of clouds, so testing will have to wait, unfortunately...

I received mine today (not from FLO, directly from WO - I didn't know about FLO until I found this forum).

I must say, telescope looks and feels excellent. But it came with a lot of clouds, so testing will have to wait, unfortunately...

Would be interested in your impressions. I have an original version which is a great little grab'n'go scope.

Archived