Hello from the Peak District

vimto

Hi,

Thought I'd better introduce myself.

Just caught the astronomy bug since Stargazing Live (I'm sure I'm not the first to say that!!).

Purchased a Skywatcher 130p Flextube on the advice of @virtualastro on Twitter and so am loving using it. Been lucky enough to see Jupiter, Orion, Mars and the Moon. So just getting to grips with it at the moment.

Hoping to get to Mam Tor which is near me and is a NT dark sky site in the next week if possible.

I have purchased a x2 barlow, but so far have found it really difficult to focus in on things with it. Just been getting a reflection the mirror in the view finder! I think its something that will need a bit of playing with to get any benefit from.

Hi Vimto and welcome. I know your area quite well due to lots of hill walking there. Your Barlow lens changes the focal length to allow a normal eyepiece to give 2x its normal power. The barlow is used with a normal eyepiece, sorry if you are doing that already but it could be something simple like that. Otherwise you will need to focus in a very different place than you used to because of the barlow.

Hope this helps!

Hi Vimto and welcome. I know your area quite well due to lots of hill walking there. Your Barlow lens changes the focal length to allow a normal eyepiece to give 2x its normal power. The barlow is used with a normal eyepiece, sorry if you are doing that already but it could be something simple like that. Otherwise you will need to focus in a very different place than you used to because of the barlow.

Hope this helps!

Cheers for that. I've been using it with a normal eyepiece, but I think its just really sensitive. I'm not too worries about it at the moment, as I'm just enjoying learning at the moment. I don't want to get too hung up on it, so I've parked it for a while!

Archived