Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

25mm ish EP choice

Tyr

The equipment bug is starting to bite again and I've been having a look around at 25mm EP's to replace the Plossl which came with my scope.

At the moment my main work horse EP is the 15mm BST which I find to be very good. I also have a 32mm GSO Plossl which I bought after which gets used less than it should be I think.

I've read the 25mm BST isn't quite as good as the mid range FL models, so I'm a little unsure as to what would be a good one to get.

I notice FLO have (or maybe by now had) the NVL's still at 25mm but the FoV seems rather limitting, but it's one option. Also the Celestron X-Cel LX's which may be about to go up in price as well.

I can get a wider FoV by using my 32mm EP which I think is the maximium I can get out of the scope in terms of FoV anyway. So I'm looking for something with good contrast and sharp image.

My scope I have an F12ish Mak so it's going to be I think pretty forgiving on EPs, but ideally I'm looking for something I won't need to replace if I get a faster scope at some point in the future.

Are there any other EP's that you think I might want to consider at this kind of focal length.

Any ideas of comments about the EP's I've already mentioned welcome.

Tyr

ps I don't wear glasses when observing but my girlfriend does if I can get her to the EP.

I think this is a very difficult choice. I am guessing you want to stick with 1.25" but want a wide field. I have the "TMB designed" Barsta ED (also sold as Teleskop Services HR, I think), which I am not entirely happy with, curved focal surface, excessive pin cushion distortion, not sharp at the edge and very tight eye position. In the end I have ordered an Explore Scientific 68 from the US which is taking an age to arrive. The Hyperion 24mm has had very mixed reviews. I thought about the Panoptic 24 but that is more money still and quite tight on eye relief for use with spectacles. The XCel-LX might be worth thinking about, but I have seen no reports of the 25mm and I do not know its field stop diameter (you will not want much less than 27mm).

A 2" EP wouldn't be an option with my current scope, a 127 Mak unless I got a new diagonal and adaptor to allow it to take SCT.

I think I'm more likely to be using this EP for DSO's rather than planetary or lunar work I already have the BST in a shorter focal length which I often barlow for that as well.

Tyr

I can only talk from experience of using a Hyperion 24mm, there 2" and come with a 1.25" screw in adapter, the other end has a rubber eye piece, and with this removed revels the thread which as a extra adapter ring costing £9 from FLO allows for a DSLR Camera to be attached, there's a picture (badly taken, mobile phone held to EP) in the Pentax thread showing what portion on the moon its shows, the lens its self it a solid piece of kit the 68' view is about right for my ageing eyesight and with nice views, clear and with contrast. I haven't had the lens long enough to get a real feel for it, but i am happy with it so far.

Yes it does, and it's more stable in a 2" focus tube.

Using the 2" fitting with the Hyperion moves the focal plane of the eyepiece forward by around 20mm though which, for some, will mean that it's difficult or impossible to get it to focus if they don't have that much outward focus travel available. But if that's not an issue for you then by all means use it in the 2" mode :icon_salut:

Yes it does, and it's more stable in a 2" focus tube.

Using the 2" fitting with the Hyperion moves the focal plane of the eyepiece forward by around 20mm though which, for some, will mean that it's difficult or impossible to get it to focus if they don't have that much outward focus travel available. But if that's not an issue for you then by all means use it in the 2" mode :icon_salut:

I can get away with a shorter focusing tube the one there is a 2" in length, a 1" would put the focuser further back into the tube, the long term idea is for every EP i have/use to be in the alloy foam filled case with its extension tube already attached, baader do some tubes of different lengths....

First Light Optics - Baader T2 Extension Tube

Thanks for the suggestions all, I did indeed have a good look at the hyperions but it's a little over what I would like to be spending right now. Although the prospect of getting a 21mm one for some higher magnification at about the same FoV was very tempting.

I've bagged a Celestron LX before the prices potentially go up next month, having read the rather timely and excellent review by Todd.

If only I could put more skies like last nights on order, to use it.

Tyr

Surprised no-one has mentioned the 24mm Televue Panoptic. It's arguably the best 1.25in eyepice ever made in terms of sharpness across the whole field and it's got the largest true field of any 1.25in eyepiece. I got mine recently and was simply blown away by it's performance.

Marco.

The 24mm Panoptic is one of the best 1.25" eyepieces manufactured in my opinion. The problem for the OP is that the price of a used one is twice that of a new Hyperion, which itself exceeds the budget available.

Superb eyepiece though, I agree.

I think I went home and said I'd spent close to £200 on an eyepiece right now then I'd be sleeping on the sofa, mind you at least I would right next to the back door so I could sneak outside in the middle of night to enjoy it :icon_salut:

Thank you for the suggestion all the same it may well give others food for thought.

Tyr

Get a 25mm BST for £41 - stop worrying about the price they are just incredible VFM - I got one and it has brought my Mak 127 to life. Honestly, in the scope you have you will be amazed at the views. Someone somewhere once reveiwed the BSTs and said the 25mm was "the runt of the litter", but this was in an F7 scope and was a marginal judgement anyway. You like your 15mm and you will be blown away by the 25mm.

The 25mm vixen NVL on offer from flo is certainly an option. It may only have a standard 50 deg field, but is likely to be much sharper to the edge than anything else mentioned - it's a top quality piece of glass.

andrew

Agreed.

So I'm looking for something with good contrast and sharp image.

The Vixen NPL or NVL will deliver on both counts.

Know that the 25mm BST is reckoned to be the poorest of the bunch but as I recall the reason was that the edges were not a sharp as the other focal lengths. This tends to be true for most eyepieces, so just wondering if they are really worse then any other in the 6 options or whether someone has stated what could be the bleedin obvious.:icon_salut:

I see you've made your choice and this should prove to be a good one based on what I have read, especially in such a slow scope. hope it works out well and do post your findings as I don't recall seeing a report on one of the longer focal lengths.

the exit pupil will be nice and small in your scope, darkening the sky quite a bit and helping battle LP.

Archived