Hello from a complete beginner in Nelson, Lancashire

Den_Perry

Hello everyone,

Newbie here, just got my first starter scope in the post and had a brief play about with it tonight. Managed to catch around 20secs of Jupiter and 3-4 of its moons in a gap between the clouds before the rain came lashing down (was able to make out faint banding across the disc with a 10mm eyepiece). Quite amazed really as it was literally the first twinkly thing I pointed the scope at!

Sadly it looks like I'll be waiting a few more days to try it out properly given the weather forecast.... (was hoping to catch a glimpse of the aurora borealis tonight as well - I hope some of you out there have a bit more luck on this front). :)

Being on a tight budget and wanting something that's easy to set up and use, I've ended up with a Celestron Skyscout 90 refractor. Seems pretty sturdy and certainly looks the part. Hopefully the 2x Barlow lense will arrive in the post in time for the next clear skies.

I'm really looking forward to the moment I can point wistfully at the sky and say "that's...just...wonderful" (thanks Brian Cox and Stargazing Live for reigniting a childhood interest!) :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Seems like there are plenty of astro-noobs joining the forum at the moment. I look forward to posting on here and getting involved in the discussions in the near future (once I get to grips with my scope).

So far the forecast for Friday night is clear skies and theres a possibility of finding a few gaps in the clouds tonight....fingers crossed!

Archived