Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope

Hi,

This might sound a silly question but I dont know alot about telescopes. Basically is this telescope a refractor or reflector. I want to be able to see stars, planets (jupiters moons), the moon and what ever else.

Does anyone use this telescope?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ants,

It's a 'mak' type. This very one is ok for planetary and lunar viewing..., it's not the greatest scope for galaxies and other 'deep sky objects' though.

It's a pretty popular beginner telescope and if you use the 'search' (top of the page), I'm sure you'll find more info on it.

Regards.

this is a reflecting telescope (technically a catadioptric) ie a mixture of lens and mirrors. I use a 5inch sct which is a different variant but similar. it has a long focal length for its size which gives it a narrow field of view bit enables it to take magnification well this makes it pretty good for high power observing eg planets and double stars. It will see pretty much the same amount of things that the 130p will but it doesn't frame some of the larger objects as well. here is a link to all the types of scopes you may or may not find it interesting.

Amateur Telescope Optics

I have one and it is a very good scope. It uses a combination of lenses and mirrors to bounce the images through the scope 3 times (hence the long focal length 1500mm). I does this within a very compact design (great if you are looking for portability).

Note that it's the same scope as the SkyWatcher 127, same mount, everything, just different name. The object database on the skywatcher has many more objects stored, but that's probably not a good thing, I think the celestron only has the objects that are likely to be viewable with that scope...

I have the skywatcher version.

I have just got a Celestron Nexstar 127 mak and love it. For a novice like me it takes just a few minutes to align any 3 bright objects and away you go exploring. Jupiter is great and you can see the bands and moons etc. The 'Tour' option takes you to an array of objects within your location (not all visable) and it helps teach you where things are or you can simply search the database for specific targets from books etc. LP restricts my DSO viewing but I have a site to go to that should be far darker.

I just received the Revelation EP set and can't wait to try them also I am hooking the goto upto a laptop and using Stellarium for tracking.

I'm also looking forward to trying some astrophotography.

The size of the scope is perfect for transport, storage and fits snuggly in the Maplin case I also ordered.

I know this might not be the best option for DSO but I can't fault it as a starter scope and I think it will stay with me even as I advance with new scopes.

My only gripe with the hobby so far is that every order I have made online from 2 major sites have been part shipped so therefore missing items even though they say instock which does my head in :icon_salut: Please Please use a live stock system or don't say that everything on the site is instock lol

I have just got a Celestron Nexstar 127 mak and love it. For a novice like me it takes just a few minutes to align any 3 bright objects and away you go exploring. Jupiter is great and you can see the bands and moons etc. The 'Tour' option takes you to an array of objects within your location (not all visable) and it helps teach you where things are or you can simply search the database for specific targets from books etc. LP restricts my DSO viewing but I have a site to go to that should be far darker.

I just received the Revelation EP set and can't wait to try them also I am hooking the goto upto a laptop and using Stellarium for tracking.

The size of the scope is perfect for transport, storage and fits snuggly in the Maplin case I also ordered.

I know this might not be the best option for DSO but I can't fault it as a starter scope and I think it will stay with me even as I advance with new scopes.

My only gripe with the hobby so far is that every order I have made online from 2 major sites have been part shipped so therefore missing items even though they say instock which does my head in :icon_salut: Please Please use a live stock system or don't say that everything on the site is instock lol

Are you talking about the Maksutov Cassegrain or Mak or are they the same scope? Also if you dont mind me asking what case have you ordered from maplin (interested to know for storage).

Sorry, another question. How do you hook it up to your laptop?

Is your skywatcher a good scope.

It's my first, so can't really say. I have a photography background, not really astronomy, so I understand good optics, but don't have "telescope" experience to speak of... As far as the optics are concerned, the telescope itself (excluding eyepieces) seems very good for the money. It's weighty, the mirrors look more immaculate than any mirror I've ever seen before, and the views I've had from it have been satisfactory, no aberrations, pretty sharp images, contrast could be better, but that's me comparing it to professional photography lenses, I don't know if it's good contrast for a telescope or not, others may know... The 25mm eyepiece is pretty decent, but the 10mm eyepiece is awful.

The mount works really quite well for go to and tracking, but only if you level it properly and align the alignment objects centred well in the eyepiece. Obviously it's beyond the mount's control if you've not told it which way it's facing properly... I've done up-to 45 minute exposure while tracking and the stars are all still pinpoints of light, rather than streaks, so that's the measure of decent tracking I suppose.

My only gripe is that the motors in the mount sound a bit rough on higher slew speed, in mine at least.

Note that it's the same scope as the SkyWatcher 127, same mount, everything, just different name. The object database on the skywatcher has many more objects stored, but that's probably not a good thing, I think the celestron only has the objects that are likely to be viewable with that scope...

I have the skywatcher version.

The mounts look similar but are entirely different.

Peter

I'm using Stellarium to operate my goto mount from my laptop . I now use a 5000mah 3cell lipolimer battery to power my scope. Its small and gives days of power between charges. I have attached it to a tripod leg next to the handset.

Hooking up the spc900 tonight for some video I hope. Can't wait.

Archived