Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead in Ha

Dave Smith

How does the ccd compare with the SLR is it more time consuming for the results your getting or about the same. Be interested to know as I have thought about getting a ccd for a while now.

At the moment I am only doing mono as I cannot afford a filter wheel just yet, but so far the time I am spending is very much the same as with the DSLR. I am using a 6nm Ha filter and was surprised how easy it is to see and find stars for alignment and focusing, so the CCD must be quite a bit more sensitive. I did once try a 12nm Ha filter on my DSLR and couldn't find anything so gave up and sold it on (the filter). I suspect it will be quicker with just a luminance filter (IR,UV) but am yet to try. One thing I have found is that I don't need to take darks wih this Sony sensor, just bias and flats which saves a lot of time. With set temperature cooling it is easy to take darks at any time if they are needed and keep a library of them.

The other point is the smaller chip and hence smaller FOV which I thought I would miss. I am finding that I like the greater detail and lack of noise very much.

I hope that helps.

Zul, Roger, Ivo Thank you for your comments.

Dave

I use a 7nm Ha filter for imaging - I took a 30 minute sub last night if you want to compare?

When I take flats I usually expose to around 1/3 saturation - about 20,000 ADU. With a UV/IR cut filter it's about 0.25 seconds - but with the Ha filter it's more like 15 seconds :)

There is some nice fine detail in there Dave you must be happy, also not a lot of noise. Thats the advantage of lots of shorter subs over a single long one.

Are you planning on more data? Don't even bother with OIII or SII on the HH - there isn't any :)

Cheers

Ant

That's really lovley Dave! Such fine detail, Just something I cannot achieve with my DSLR as I found out last night on this object. That's twice I've tried this and it's not worth posting. I've decided to wait until I get a CCD until I give this ago again.

Keep up the good work! :)

Michael

Marvelous result, Dave. I am marveling!

One day I might have a CCD too... but in the meantime, did you ever take anything with your DSLR & Ha filter?

No, everything was too dark so I couldn't find anything. I don't have a lot of patience so gave up. Many folks have succeeded though.

Dave

Are you planning on more data? Don't even bother with OIII or SII on the HH - there isn't any :)

Cheers

Ant

Not at present. While the Moon is out of the way I want to try galaxies with just luminance. There are so many goodies out there!

Dave

yeah I guess I haven't gave the justice needed; first time around I tried unguided 60s subs for just over an hour and then last night 5mins guided for about half an hour - all I get is digitised noisy mess really, will likely need another 10hrs to counter the 300D's noise and at f7.5 I'm not so fast. Need £$££$ for some new kit!!! :)

Archived