Greetings from NI

Pugnut

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this board for a few days & decided to join now that I now have my first telescope.

I was always interested in the stars since I was a kid. We had an atlas with a star map in it & I would study it in the house & then go outside to see if I could spot the constellations. It was harder to pick them out back then as I could see more stars & the milky way. I would stay out until I got too cold or my mother would shout at me to go to bed!:) Nowadays with light pollution I can only see the milky way on really dark nights, though I've been using a pair of 7x50 binos for looking at jupiter, etc.

I always wanted a telescope but never got around to getting one. After watching this years stargazing live I decided to look seriously about getting one. I was getting scared by the prices for anything decent :) but then I spotted an ad on gumtree which looked a real bargain. I was sceptical before I went to view the scope but it turned out to be genuine.

It was a Skywatcher Explorer 150P on a EQ3-2 german mount with 10mm, 25mm & 3x barlow lenses all in near mint condition. He also included 2 books - Turn Left at Orion & Nightwatch, a moon map & a philips planisphere. I got basically a complete beginners astronomy for just £150!:D I didn't even try to bargain the price down as it was so cheap & the guy was so nice & genuine.

I tried the scope out last night & i was eventually able to see jupiter & all 4 moons, though I struggled using the equatorial mount. I'll need to collimate the scope as the previous owner never dared to try in the 3 years he had it. Hopefully I'll get another clear night soon & get some more practise in.

Finally, is there anyone local to me that wants to help me get to grips with setting up & using this scope?:D

Cheers,

Pugnut

Thanks for the messages folks, you've made me feel very welcome.

I was hoping to get some viewing done tonight but by the the time I got home & had dinner the nice clear skys had clouded over.

Hi Pugnut, welcome!

Yes you got a cracking deal there, i myself just ordered the same setup but brand new, you certainly saved a great deal of money, pity i couldnt find one second hand! Maybe we can compare shots if your eventually attach a camera, or help each other if needed?

Archived