Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M78 1000d

RAC

Its not easy posting an M78 image after looking at Harry's!

This is really a bit much for my cheap little setup. Don't look too close at the stars as my mount with its cheap little eq5 gears and 1000mm fl scope are not really made for each other at all. It needs more darks but i'll need to find some time to make them.

12x10min subs + 5darks @ ISO1600,

Modded 1000D @ -3degC

skywatcher 8in f5 reflector.

Baader MPCC.

CLS-CCD LP clip in filter

Processed in PI but stacked in DSS.

6721224101_815128abea_b.jpg

Hi dont knock your efforts.

Thats a fabulous image,every bit as good as Harry,s work.Dont forget the time and effort you,ve put into this to achieve this result.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,and we all see things in different ways.

Thats a cracking image,and i dont need it to be perfect.

This site is not about perfection,its about sharing your efforts.

Yes its nice to get a comment or two,but that should,nt matter.

Look forward to the next one.

Mick.

Superb, very well processed and looks very natural (I don't quite know what that means except I know it when I see it!).

You may have "value" equipment but I suspect you have a nice dark sky which is worth more than money can buy when it comes to targets like this

Thanks guys. I am happy with the image for 2 hours of data and even more happy with the scope as this scope was making double stars for a long time and was just put to the side. I found out it was the tube that was bent right next to the focuser.

I'll be getting a better mount very soon and at the least it will be an eq6.

I actually prefert his image to Hrry's (no offence Harry!). It is nowhere near as deep, but as such it retains mystery through the darkness surrounding the central bright region. Nice, sharp wispiness in the brighter detail too. I might add this to my list of 'things to image', but I reckon I'll need to swap my 80mm refractor for a light bucket first!

Cartes du Ciel shows M78 as very small (8'x6'). Is this cropped or does it contain more of the peripheral nebulae shown in Cartes du Ciel as well (e.g. ngc 2071)?

It only has a very small amount cropped as the edges were not very good.

Archived