from KESGRAVE, SUFFOLK

Reidupede

Hallo to you all,

Here I am with my little kit and raring to go! I am busy reading enless postings from this forum which are all so helpful. No doubt I shall have loads of really basic questions but for now I am learning so much from all you have to say.

Clear skies to you all, Pat

Hi Pat and welcome to the forum. Have you downloaded a free piece of planetary software called Stellarium? You can gave a look at it here. It's a great tool to help you locate and identify objects in the night sky. Will help you stay 'focused' (couldn't resist) when the clouds come in and STAY!:D:D

Clear skies

James

Thank you so much for your nice welcome. I am still finding my way around. I notice you all list your equipment. How do I do that? I have a very small kit but if I need to ask questions it would be useful to list what I have. I have downloaded Stellarium and enjoy that. I have acquired a philips webcam, ordered a decent secondhand camera. I have bought a Skywatcher focuser (auto it is called!) I have a computer with sharpcap and have had a go at using that. Soon I shall have a lot of "daft" questions but will enjoy reading for now. At present I am reading on what to expect from my setup and how to use the software. I have experimented a bit with the webcam and Registax 6 (Amusing result!) Still I recognise the result as a bit of the moon! Now my husband is really the guy absorbed by the sky at night. Unfortunately he has had a massive stroke and has been left very disabled. The idea of the telescope and accessories is to try and give him a bit of a hobby. He used to sail across the atlantic using the stars, so he is well interested in this attempt of mine! All help and advice will be so readily and gratefully received.

Got to get ready for Prof. Brian Cox on a bit later! Kind regards to you all. Pat

I wanted to list my equipment that I have but have no access to signatures. So here goes. For Christmas we had a Skywatcher Evostar 90 EQ2 with the kit that comes with it. We have a computer with Windows 7 on which we have downloaded Stellarium, Sharpcap and Registax 6. We have been promised a Baader Planetarium eyepiece and we have a canon EOS 550D T2i camera which needs bits to attach it to the telescope if it is worthwhile doing so. We also have a Skywatcher auto focuser. We have an adapted Philips webcam SNC9000. This is ok for moon but useless for planets or is okay but the planets are just white blobs.

Now with this lot, can anyone tell us what we can achieve and maybe suggest anything else that may help us.

We have seen the moon, jupiter and moons, Mars and my favourite so far, Saturn.

I would love to be able to take pictures of those. How do I fix the camera to the telescope?

Horrible cloudy and wet day today ; (

Archived