Hello

Blueberry

Hi, I am new to SGL.

I am a bit of a technophile ... but do not yet have any telescope/astro equipment. This time I am taking my time, so using the lounge to sleuth out stuff.

I live on the coast (Skeg) and get pretty dark skies as far as I can tell. I am a bit of a IT guru, so can get most things to work.

Hope to find someone nearby to share experiences with!

:D

HI and welcome to the forum. Free planetarium software called Stellarium will be a good start and can be downloaded here. Plenty of toys to keep you busy should the clouds come in and a great educational tool to help you find and identify objects in the night sky. There are other free programs out there such as EQMOD which will help you link certain mounts with the stellarium but also can help control the scope when for example imaging e.g mosiacs of the moon. Plenty of free astro stuff that has been tried and tested and for those like you that are I.T literate, keep you interested. There's plenty of different points of interest within astronomy so you won't be disappointed by joining in.

Clear skies

James

Archived