NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Problems with my camera battery - Can anyone help?

Hey guys,

I bought a Canon 350D from a friend recently but I've had a slight problem with the batteries.

After the batteries I had for the camera ran out of power I tried to charge them up. When I put the batteries into the charger, the orange light came on to say it was charging but within a couple of minutes the green light came on to say they were charged. I put the batteries back in the camera just to confirm & there was no charge in either.

I had taken a few hundred pics before the battery died so it doesn't look like its the camera. I replaced the power cable to check that & it was the same. So I believe the problem lies with the battery or the charger itself. I think the charger is the most likely culprit as its unlikely that both batteries would die at the same time.

I like the camera but if it is broken I'd rather give it back now. If its just the battery or charger I'll just replace them because as I said I like the camera & I got it for a good price.

So if anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Jeff

Strange one Jeff, batteries that have delivered enough power for several hundred shots, would normally take some time to recharge. It could be the charger reading wrongly the batteries condition and showing a false full charge. For a little money, you can get cheap batteries and charger from 7dayshop.com - Online Store

I have used their batteries for years with no problems, they are a bit slow on the shipping but give you tracking info.

Lithium ion batteries only have a finite life. If they get completely flat and are left like that it can kill them. They are designed to show as empty when they still have a little charge in order that they don't actually get flat. You probably just need a new battery or two.

If the batteries have lasted for several hundred shots it sounds like they're okay.

As Naz says, flat batteries should take longer than a few minutes to recharge.

Many chargers show green at less than 100% charged anyway, I can't see any harm coming to your batteries if you left them charging overnight.

Thanks for the advice. I've bought a cheap battery just to test it.

I saw that astronomiser is selling Batteries with cigarette lighter adapters connected so I can power the camera through my leisure battery. I may buy one of these in the future as it would stop me from running out of juice & changing the batteries over. Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Jeff

I had a problem the other night with my 1000D batteries. I had charged 3 batteries before the imaginmg session and the first battery ran out after about 30mims. On replacing this I found the other batteries would not start the camera and showed that they were flat. I put them into the charger and it went green after a few minutes but again they would not work in the camera. Later on when I got them inside I tried all the batts in the camera and they showed fully charged! I can only assume the fact that it was very cold had affected the batteries.

I had thought the cold was the problem but the next day after they had warmed up I still had the same problem. I've even tried them again today to see but still no change.

As I said earlier I've ordered a cheap new battery to try so hopefully that will work.

Jeff

I bought a cheap energizer battery and that's nearly as good as my Canon original. As for imaging, defo go for the astronomiser battery eliminator... Works great, and means you don't have to change batteries regularly. In the cold, I'd sometimes end up with only 1 hours life from a fully charged battery (it's still in use, and still working fine btw).

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag this thread up from the depths, but I've recently had a similar issue.

I have a 1000D and a little while ago, when charging, the charger would alternate flashing red/green after a while the LED just went off and the battery was not charged properly. I did some web searching which seemed to imply that the battery was at fault, so u ordered a new genuine Canon one. With that one the light did not even come on, so, having tried new mains cords I ordered a new Canon charger. This arrived yesterday and I'm pleased to say it has solved the problem. I now have two batteries which charge correctly, good to have a spare I guess.

Main point is not to assume the battery is at fault, as I did.

Stu

Funnily enough, my canon battery died tonight after just under an hours worth of use on the scope. Put it on charge, and around 1.5hours later, it said it was fully recharged again. I would of thought it should last longer, its not exactly cold out there at the moment, and would of thought it would take longer to charge. I may have to look at the batteries mentioned above and get a spare or two.

When I was running on batteries I found I needed 3 off them to run all night starting off with all three fully charged... changing batts is a pain so I use battery eliminators thst run of 12v supply instead...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got fed up with batteries fading out on those cold winters nights so now run the mount and camera from mains supplies , no great help if you're sat in the middle of nowhere but for home imaging it saves a lot of grief ... :p

Archived