Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Scope: Skywatcher 200p or 250p Dob?

Hi everyone, new guy here!

First off thanks to everyone for such a friendly and welcoming forum atmosphere, its possibly on of the most welcoming sites i've found on the internet. :D

And back on topic, I'm 17 and have been wanting a scope for quite a while (binoculars and a spotting scope only keep you entertained for so long!) , and have finally amassed some funds to enable me to finally get one. The problem is the overwhelming choice, but i think i've narrowed it down to one of skywatchers dobs, the 200p or the 250p. Correct me if im wrong, but these seem like a good choice for an all rounder scope as well as a first due to the ease of the mount.

I can afford the 250p and would be happy to pay for a wider aperture, the problem is that my sky is moderately (but not terribly) light polluted. Would the 10" allow me to see that much more than the 8" for the price difference or would i be more likely to just see more orange?

Are there any other accessories that i ought to consider, it would be a bit foolish to order something and not allow some of the budget for that!

From what i've read, i best make a decision quickly or else the Brian Cox crew will clear out FLO.

Thanks in advance for any advice, i'm happy to put my hands up and say i have very little clue about all of this.

Cameron :)

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say the 200, unless you can afford the 250 and then some. Bigger is always better, ~but~ you will need some extras.

A red dot finder or telrad (or right angled finder), a good sky map, a dew shield, a couple of shorter length EPs since the 10mm that comes with them are ****, a decent barlow for the same reason, and from the sounds of things, a light pollution filter.

Both will give great views either way. Personally, i'l be ordering my 200p in... *checks calender* - 4 DAYS WOOOOOOOOOOOOT! :)

He won't need a dew shield, solid tube reflectors are pretty immune. As eyepieces go you really won't feel the need for new ones for quite a while, certainly long after you've got to know your telescope.

Personally, spend all that you can on as good a telescope as you can. By the time ypu realise what extras you might want you'll be months down the line with a few more pennies in your pocket. The possibility of buying extras and finding you never use them is a lot worse.

I'm having a similar dilemma to the OP here except I'm looking at the 150p and 200p. My questions could apply to them all though so if no-one minds I'll just ask them here.

Looking at the range, the focal length is 1200mm for the 150p,200p and 250p so a 10mm lens will have the same magnification for all of them but the "Highest Practical Power (Potential)" increases with the size of the scope. Why is that?

I also see "(f/4.7)" mentioned for the 250p. What does that mean?

Lastly, with a 10mm lens at 120x, what improvements could I expect to see with a bigger scope looking at Jupiter for example?

Thanks.

Both will give great views either way. Personally, i'l be ordering my 200p in... *checks calender* - 4 DAYS WOOOOOOOOOOOOT! :)

Just in time for Brian Cox to clear out the stockrooms :D

I am going to suggest a 200P also.

I feel the difference between the 200P and the 250PX is pretty small, especially in light polluted skies. I have a 250 and an observing buddy has the 200 so I get the chance to compare side by side quite often. The 250PX IS better, more obviously so when the sky is darker but the 200P is outstanding value for money and copes well with cheaper eyepieces.

Get a Rigel QuikFinder or Telrad. These things really make finding stuff easy. I also use dewshields. The secondary mirrors on the SkyWatcher Newts seem to dew up quite a bit in my experience. It also helps improve contrast.

There's not a huge difference between the two. The 250 will show a bit more, the 200 is faster and more forgiving with the eyepieces.

As stated you will probably want a few extras, a dew shield being one of them (although you can make one). As Rik says the secondary can dew quite quickly in bad conditions. Many people start looking around for additional eyepieces fairly quickly, although this is not essential. Both great scopes that you will get plenty of enjoyment from.

I did a 'First Light' review for the 250px in November, might be of use to you (and indeed anyone looking).

Here's the link: http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/165664-first-month-250px-beyond-first-light.html

I did mention about the finderscope knocking out alignment in my review...that was just me and not checking it was secured slightly.

I would echo other peoples sentiments the 250px isn't forgiving on poor EP's. The supplied ones were good enough for the job (and happily pleased me) but once I tried a better EP the difference was marked. Even a £30 plossl upgrade would be a step up and well worth the investment. A telrad is helpful but I've managed fine enough without one.

Any questions feel free to pm me.

The 250px is fine to carry, ok so if you're tiny and struggle with a 200p then yes it will be a stretch but it's not that much a step up in weight.

the 250px is generally regarded on here as the one of the largest scopes a single person can move around on their own. I leave mine in the house and carry it out on the stand to do observing on my own, i'm no adonis either!!

Thanks for all the advice, its certainly given me lots to think about.

I'll think about it a little longer but i think the 250p is a better choice, especially if i buy the scope on its own first and think about what extras i'll need when i'm familiar with the ins and outs of the telescope. Im not too bothered about eyepieces yet, but when i am i'll be sure to buy the best i can afford.

Not to mention that i'll be going on holiday this year to some fairly dark places, and if i can fit the scope in the car it'll be going with me!

Hopefully i'll hang around this forum for quite some time, as i said before you're a very welcoming bunch!:)

Archived