Our hot and steamy neighbour has been making an appearance in all her glory the last few days, and today was the first opportunity I have had to view here through my scope.

I got my scope out for the first time in the daylight today because she was that visible, I managed to located her in the blue sky, which I am really proud of, because it wasn't easy at all!!

The window of opportunity to view Venus is very short so I wanted to use the daylight to get some quality viewing time.

Unfortunately the view was quite poor, it just looked like a white blob, no discernible disc shape and certainly no detail.

Could I please have some tips on how to get the best view of our closest hot and steamy neighbour?

Venus is a tough object to view through any scope. Twilight is a good time to view as it reduces the glare from Venus a little. You should be able to make out the phase and this will change but surface details are at best very transient and vague. What we are seeing is sunlight reflecting off the extensive and dense clouds that shroud the planet.

Venus is a tough object to view through any scope. Twilight is a good time to view as it reduces the glare from Venus a little. You should be able to make out the phase and this will change but surface details are at best very transient and vague. What we are seeing is sunlight reflecting off the extensive and dense clouds that shroud the planet.

I have just been out for a final view before it disappears from my view, I got a sort of disc shape.

I think I need some help with my scope though, I have seen some of the images that are achievable through my scope, yet I can't even get a view like that, let alone capture an image.

Could anyone recommend 2 or 3 vital EP's for my scope that would massively enhance my views of the planets?

Many thanks in advance.

I can see your Aperture is 130mm but whats the focal length of your scope?, If its the same as mine 900mm then im afriad your going to struggle, even when I use 180 mag (10mm EP with barlow x2) Venus is just a blob. Ive even ramped it up to x240 and then can't focus on it at all.

Jupiter is the only planet im yet to see detail on with my scope. Think we need a bigger one :)

Whats the focal length of your scope?, If its the same as mine 900mm, even when i use 180 mag (10mm EP with barlow x2) Venus is just a blob.

Jupiter is the only planet im yet to see detail on with my scope. Think we need a bigger one :)

Focal length is 650mm.

I can just about see the 2 big cloud bands on Jupiter if I squint hard enough and use the 10mm through a x2 Barlow.

I am going to attempt to view Mars and Saturn tonight, I am not expecting anything other then a red blob for Mars.

I would expect to be able to see Saturns rings and I am exciting by this prospect, I am going to be very upset if I can't see them :D

Indeed zainraza, until that day comes when we unbox our 10" we will have to enjoy what we have.

As i say use your barlow and 10mm on jupiter and it's pretty good detail if your eyes are good. The moon looks great with just the 10mm, or barlow and 25mm.

Focal length is 650mm.

I can just about see the 2 big cloud bands on Jupiter if I squint hard enough and use the 10mm through a x2 Barlow.

I am going to attempt to view Mars and Saturn tonight, I am not expecting anything other then a red blob for Mars.

I would expect to be able to see Saturns rings and I am exciting by this prospect, I am going to be very upset if I can't see them :D

130mm scopes can see lots of details on the planets but there are some "caveats":

- the collimation needs to be good

- the seeing conditions need to be good

- decent eyepieces (not always that expensive) are needed

- the observer needs to keep observing as often and for as long as possible.

I do the vast majority of my planetary observing through a 120mm scope and see lots of details but I do have to really work at it :)

Archived