Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problems stacking RAW files in DSS

Hi All

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I all I get is a thin strip of the image when adding raw files to deep sky stacker. I have downloaded several codecs so I am able to open RAW files in Windows 7 but for some reason I cannot view them correctly in DSS.

Any advice welcomed.

Have you got an 1100d? I don't think the raw files are compatible with DSS.

I tried the new DSS beta which could open the files but seems to lose data in the conversion, so I now convert to tiff first.

Not all Raw files are created equal...

Just because its from a canon camera and has a .CR2 extension it doesn't mean that software written before thenewer cam comes on the market will be able to read it...

Even with the likes of Adobe camera raw support typically lags behind camera releases by a few months...

One fix while waiting for the software to catch up is to use the Digital Photo Professional sofware that came with the camera to convert the raw files to tiffs and then process these in DSS

Peter...

I have a problem with RAW (CR2) files and DSS too. On my main laptop, DSS will recognize the files but displays them as all white and can't find any stars. However, it works fine on my older laptop which I use to control the scope. There must be some sort of plugin in the older laptop which enables it to 'read' the CR2 files, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

I decided to convert the files to Tiff in the end which took a while but I have now been able to stack them in DSS. I have downloaded several codec packages from the net and none of them worked so I will have to stick with doing conversions or just use JPEG camera files.

Have you got an 1100d? I don't think the raw files are compatible with DSS.

I tried the new DSS beta which could open the files but seems to lose data in the conversion, so I now convert to tiff first.

I'm a numpty :)

My thanks too Nadeem, it seems it wasn't data loss I was getting. It's just that the raw files preview darker than the converted tiffs. When I adjusted the slider in the top right of DSS to brighten the gamma, I could see all the detail in the image I thought was lost.

• 3 years later...

Archived