Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars Moon?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is an old Sky & Telescope article about viewing the Martian moons. The data on magnitudes may have changed a litte but I think the positional applet that is also linked to will give up to date data:

The Martian Moons in 2007–08 - Planets - SkyandTelescope.com

"At such times Deimos can be found three Mars diameters from the planet's limb, and Phobos one diameter from the limb. Phobos may be physically larger and brighter than Deimos, but Mars still outshines it by 200,000 times, and that makes this inner moon much harder to discern"

I definately saw a moon one diameter from the limb!

I have seen Phobos! :icon_scratch:

I've just noticed that the applet in that link is only accurate in 2007 or 2008 :D

Stellarium should show the current positions I would think.

Congratulations if you have seen Phobos - getting to 11th mag with all that moonlight around was quite an achievement with 4.5" of aperture :icon_scratch:

I've just noticed that the applet in that link is only accurate in 2007 or 2008 :D

Stellarium should show the current positions I would think.

Congratulations if you have seen Phobos - getting to 11th mag with all that moonlight around was quite an achievement with 4.5" of aperture :icon_scratch:

I have to say I love this scope. It wipes the floor with my F/5.

I can see so much more detail in planets with it.

I would LOVE an 8" dob one day. Imagine the views from that!

At the 2003 opposition, some of my club saw Deimos though our 16" Dob, we used an eyepiece with an occulting bar fitted to remove the glare of Mars, and it was also seen through a 12" at the same club meeting, by placing Mars just outside the field of view.

Of course, that opposition was a very favourable one.

We had an accurate print out of the positions of the moons, but Phobos eluded us, even though it was about as far from Mars' limb as it gets.

But great care must be taken not to mistake a background star for a moon.

Regards, Ed.

....But great care must be taken not to mistake a background star for a moon.............

According to Stellarium, the mag 6.8 star HIP 56618 was very close to Mars in the sky at around midnight last night. It was about as far from the planets disk as Phobos is currently. Phobos and Deimos are listed by Stellarium as currently being around magnitude 13.

Mars and it's moons will not appear to move agains the starry background as you view them but will move night to night.

Background stars do not move with the planet. This did.

Not sure over what period of time you are talking. If you are talking over several nights, the positions of the moons would also have altered in relation to Mars (they both move quite quickly round the planet). Can you give us the date and time of this observation?

Thanks.

No the moon was following mars through the sky.

Mars definately moves as I observe and the moon went with it,

it stayed the same distance and position from mars for about 20 mins worth of observing. Can't be a star.

They were moving past stars.

I get the feeling some people do not believe me.

I know what a star looks like and how it travels with the sky.

This was relative to mars.

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-discussion/170473-first-report-new-targets-founds.html

my report.

Mars's moons are incredibly difficult due to their proximity to the planet, the glare from which makes them impossible to see unless you have some sort of occulting bar. I have tried with my 10" to no avail and, at 13/14th magnitude, certainly not possible with a 4.5" reflector.

:eek:Oh.. :D

(shuts up and hides)

Targets edited. I now have a new goal though! Find Mars' Moons.

I am still not quite sure, maybe my eyepiece is damaged/marked as I saw something above and to the right that looked like a dim galilean moon.

I am sad.

Happy soon again as the sun is setting and the sky is only half cloudy :icon_scratch:

Can't wait for sunset!

Thanks everyone

I'd love to see the the moons. Phobos rotates round Mars three times a day, and will apparently crash into the planet in a few million years. Here's a little animation of them showing how they will appear over the next 24 hours.

mars.gif

Don't worry, ken, we have all been there - convinced we have seen something ridiculously difficult.

Would definitely think you should be able to see other moons of Saturn with your scope. Don't know if Stellarium does, but CdC definitely shows the positions of the moons in real time, so you could use it to check observations (both are free downloads).

Ok this may or may not be right but on my report page the other guy who saw what I saw has corrected his post. He forgot it was inverted so he says SE. This also obviously shows you how cowboy I am about this obsession as I too completely forgot about the mirror effect so my whole report is misleading as North may be North or I may have meant south... damn.

BUT it does make it VERY HIGHLY likely that I did in fact see Phobos! I am going to leave it off of my target list for now as it is so uncertain but since I know I will be able to spot it again I have high hopes.

Archived