Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thoughts Please!

Damo636

13mm Ethos + 2x Powermate Vs 6mm Radian?

I see a 2x Powermate for sale on ABS at the minute and it has got me thinking, again :(

The powermate, at the expense of the 6mm Radian would give me

an additional 4mm fl when combined with the 8mm Ethos. (Already use the Antares 1.6x with the 8mm Ethos to create 5mm fl)

Any thoughts folks?

I've tested the 8mm Ethos / 1.6x Antares barlow combo against some very stiff competition and it still excelled and I reckon the Powermate is probably a touch better even than the Antares optically so it's going to be a winner. The only downside I can see might be the weight on the focusser - the Powermate 2" 2x weighs twice as much as the Antares 1.6x 2" barlow.

You not gonna let a little thing like weight get in the way of the very finest views are ya Damo?:(

You just need to work out some counterweights if needed.

Regards Steve

Sod it, just fired off an email to the seller :p

Its can't be much heavier than the 28mm Uwan and i coped with it :o

13mm Ethos + 2x Powermate Vs 6mm Radian?

I see a 2x Powermate for sale on ABS at the minute and it has got me thinking, again :(

The powermate, at the expense of the 6mm Radian would give me

an additional 4mm fl when combined with the 8mm Ethos. (Already use the Antares 1.6x with the 8mm Ethos to create 5mm fl)

Any thoughts folks?

You could sell your Antares Damo to offset the Powermate cost (Brantuks great advice to me). That is what I intend doing.

I'd hang on to your Antares 1.6x barlow until you are happy that you are fully comfortable with the Powermate / Ethos combos from all aspects. The Antares won't fetch a huge amount (one on UK AB&S struggled to sell for £35 delivered a few days ago) so unless you are desperate for the £'s I'd just hold back a bit.

I'm probably overcautious though :(

I'd hang on to your Antares 1.6x barlow until you are happy that you are fully comfortable with the Powermate / Ethos combos from all aspects. The Antares won't fetch a huge amount (one on UK AB&S struggled to sell for £35 delivered a few days ago) so unless you are desperate for the £'s I'd just hold back a bit.

I'm probably overcautious though :(

No harm in being cautious John. The person who bought the Antares for £35 got a real bargain there, almost as good as the guy who bought my 28 mm UWAN :o

I've not yet fitted any Damo as my alt-az mounts don't throw my eyepieces at all sorts of angles so I don't need to really tighten the set screws too much. The set screws are M3 size so I guess you could pick up some nylon M3 thumbscrews easily enough.

Don't get me wrong on the Powermate 2" 2x though - it's a superb device I'm sure. If the weight poses no issues then definitely worth going for. I used to use a 2.5x 1.25" PM with my Nagler Type 6's and it really was an optic that "just got out of the way" in use :(

Cheers John. I have heard back from the seller and it is still available so i will probably go for it. The 6mm Radian is a very nice eyepiece but the lure of another 100 degree fov for very little extra money is very tempting :(

.... but the lure of another 100 degree fov for very little extra money is very tempting :D

Now, I wonder why :p

ES are supposed to have a 120 degree EP in the pipeline :(

Naglers will be relegated to "just a wide field" status soon :o

ES are supposed to have a 120 degree EP in the pipeline :(

You will definately need a double jointed eye socket to take all that in :o

Anyway, i just bagged myself a 2" 2X Powermate :p so its off to Uk Astro Buy and Sell for the 6mm Radian.

• 2 weeks later...

It totally sucks doesn't it! I can also pretty much guarantee when a clear night finally decides to come my way, I will be working!

3 weeks feels like 3 years in Astronomy. How much is a ticket to the Atacama desert...

Archived