Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turn Left at Orion

This was the present i asked my sister for at Christmas, and yep i was a happy man when it came to unwrapping it. Well i have enjoyed looking at it in the comfort of my house, but have yet to use it for my hobby in a practial sense with the poor weather being the main reason for that. I just have one question - can the book be taken outside - is it dew proof or do you need to keep it under cover? I would hate to take it out and then all the pages ruined by damp. Thanks Chris

I recently bought the lastest edition although I haven't taken it outside. However I have taken my copies of the Sky At Night magazine outside when looking at the enclosed charts and they start to moisten up pretty quickly. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to keep them dry especially while you are using it outside. Is there a laminated version? I have a few laminated Ordnance Survey maps for when I am out walking and they are invaluable when out in the hills in lousy weather.

I've managed to download a copy of turn left, I just take it outside with my iPad, I have a real copy but wouldn't risk taking it outside cos the pages are quite thin in the latest edition and I'm not very good at looking after my stuff

ive taken mine outside , but not for long periods. i think it would be worth photcopying pages to take out ,or if youve too much time on your hands ,you could laminate every page .

Im the same - only short periods and photocopy what I use a lot - don't want to ruin my book :(

It's not very suitable to damp or humid conditions in my opinion. As suggested above having a digital version, copy or jotting down info on a seperate pad would probably be a good idea.

I kept mine in a Trapper Keeper/Folder Case setup that had zipper. Also kept other charts, small red led light etc inside. Sadly the humidity here did a number on it rather quickly even with added protection.

I've always taken my copy outside and it hasn't suffered too badly. I have an incredibly poor short term memory though so I can guarantee that if I read the book inside and then went out by the time I got to my scope I'd have forgotten everything.

i bought this too, even before i have my first real scope (8" skywatcher dob, coming wednesday). while i agree that the paes might not withstand the weather...it is a book that's content is designed for USE...i.e. it charts the sky and tells you basically where to look...so a others have said, i plan to just photocopy/print out the pages i'll be using on the night...

Archived