NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Now I can officially measure how bad the weather is

Catanonia

Managed to get one of my Christmas presents installed a few days ago before the storms hit.

76364d1325675512-my-new-setup-ts-supernewt-f2-8-dsc00314.jpg

Weather station from Maplin :)

It is attached to the top of my fence panel observatory about 1m above the scope height.

My garden is very sheltered with the house and high conifers (15ft) surrounding it on all sides, but still managed to record a max of 38mph gust even at this level.

So now I can officially tell you how bad our weather has been. Over 30mm of rain in the last week ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Fence panel" the OP says? So in these winds it's spending a lot of its time on the floor then, along with teh fence panel ! :) We have been battered in Nottingham mercislessly sicen yesterday. An oak tree the other side of our road, 190 years old came down last night. Whats a shame and no it was not blockign my view. Its in sawdust by the council already.

BTW I love the thing - I will get one too ;)

Steve

Managed to get one of my Christmas presents installed a few days ago before the storms hit.

Weather station from Maplin :)

Which one its this? my weather station from JohnLewis is about 3 years old and all both external and internal devices are working they are unable to connect to each other, even bringing them side by side :-(

Not sure if you can connect it to a computer, can't see how, but will invesitgate.

Here are some pics of the fence panel observatory, lasted 2 years without fault in all the winds we have had. It leaks a bit, but so what and scope is always at outdoor temparatures without fail. Scope is on a tripod with holes drilled into the flags for positioning and secureness. The scope is always covered with a motorcycle cover when not in use and the roll roof is bungeed at 4 corners when it is windy. Although never even seen it try to lift one bit in the gusts we have had.

Think in total cost about 100 notes and 3 days of construction. I didn't even concrete, just leveled the dirt, a bid of sand and put the flags down. Main support posts were hammered into the ground with aid of some warm water.

It will probably need replacing sometime in the near future as it rots, but was suppose to be a temporary and cheap obs solution to see if I liked astronomy. Looks like I do 2 years later :)

post-16631-13387771331_thumb.jpg

post-16631-133877713316_thumb.jpg

post-16631-133877713322_thumb.jpg

post-16631-133877713327_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

I am here in Johannesburg South Africa

The entire holiday season has rained out every single day I kid you not.....

And here is the kicker

a brand new AP1200 and a C11Edge and all I can do is read the manual again and again and again

Waited 20 years for the dream setup

I used a ETX 125 for 25 years Still love it

maybe I will get some rings and put her where she belongs..

On the AP1200

Have a great year

DD

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2..... The coolest gadget I own. Tapatalk..The coolest App.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2..... The coolest gadget I own. Tapatalk..The coolest App.

This one has USB link and not too much more;

USB Wireless Weather Forecaster : Professional Weather Station : Maplin Electronics

PS This has wind direction too.

That's the weather station I'd be looking at getting if I had the money for it, my Birthday is in a month so not out of question. The ability to connect the unit to my PC makes it more appealing than the slightly less expensive one, I'd like to be able to keep a record of the weather although I suppose that would mean the computer being on 24/7?

........ I suppose that would mean the computer being on 24/7?

Hi, the console stores the data, when you connect you download it.

To show live data on the internet it would mean you need to run 24/7, I run an old laptop most of the day; the Cumulus software also uploads the data from when the laptop is off.

Hi, the console stores the data, when you connect you download it.

To show live data on the internet it would mean you need to run 24/7, I run an old laptop most of the day; the Cumulus software also uploads the data from when the laptop is off.

Ah that makes sense, fortunately I have no intention of streaming the live data to a website at the moment. I'd use to satisfy personal curiosity.

Archived