NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any suggestions for a 2x Barlow for around £30?

Monki

Hi guys, my girlfriend suprised me with a celestron 60lcm for christmas and it's my first ever telescope. I'm not stupid hehe, but i'm certainly a telescope beginner...so i would just like some advice on a decent 2x barlow please to add a bit of variety to what i can see. My scope came with a 9mm and a 25mm eyepiece and the telescope has a focal lengh of 700mm. I figure the 9mm with the barlow would take me to the limit of my scopes abilities? I did a bit of reading on the forums and heard a company called Tal make decent but cheap lenses.....is this right? I found a 32mm 2x barlow on this website http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1443/prodtype.asp and the price seems spot on really......what do you guys think? Any others to suggest?

Thankyou in advance for your advice....i know it must get annoying being asked questions by beginners :)

Slightly off topic but im also going to buy a couple of soft rubber eyeguards to make viewing comfier... Orion make some 1.25" ones, has anyone ever purchased any third party eyeguards like this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.

So Tal is quite sought after then? Or do resellers just have a hard time getting hold of them? Maybe i should place an order anyway so im first inline when they're back in stock hehe...

Cool, ill be sure to check the revelation when i get home then. My signal is too poor to browse web pages at the moment. My only concern (before i research more) is that it's 2.5x....this would put me over my reccomended maximum magnification with my 9mm....though I did read somewhere that a barlow can some times help image quality because of the way the light is "closer to being paraxial" when using one? Looking at diagrams it seems right.....but is it just a myth?

Again, thanks for your help guys.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

In the description below the picture it says the 3x is sold out but the 2x is still available. Maybe they haven't updated that then if it doesn't let you order :)

Edit: just checked. If your on the 2x it let's you add to basket. If you select 3x the add to basket option disappears ;)

Thanks ecosse! I've ordered the Tal 2x from FLO...free delivery too :) i'm really looking forward to giving it a go when it arrives. I just wish this crappy weather would go away hehe

Thanks a lot for your help guys, it's good to be on a forum where people are so helpful and all interested in the same thing! .

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

I ordered the TAL 2x barlow from FLO on December 29th and it's been put in backorder unfortunately, not sure why the website says it's still in stock. Hopefully more stock will arrive at some point soon!

Hopefully this will apply to you aswell pduk, but after getting an email saying they were out of stock this morning i then recieved another stating 10 more had just been delivered about an hour or 2 ago. With a bit of luck you'll be one of the lucky 10 :( if not theres somewhere else called 'sherwood photos' that have some in stock for £38.50 delivered. I ordered one but had to cancel it more or less 5 mins later because of the email from FLO. Hopefully sherwood wont hold it against me..... :o

Sent from a Galaxy S 2 far away.

Hopefully this will apply to you aswell pduk, but after getting an email saying they were out of stock this morning i then recieved another stating 10 more had just been delivered about an hour or 2 ago.

Thanks for the info Monki! I haven't received any emails from them today but I just looked at the order on the web site and it currently says "Packing". Fingers crossed that this is true :(

Ecosse, may I ask what you think of the BST explorers? Eyepiece upgrades will come next (not just yet, as my wallet is recovering from xmas)? Right now I only have the 10mm and 25mm ones that came with the skyliner 200P and I see you have the same scope... sorry to hijack the thread :(

The BST Explorers have a very good reputation when used with the 200P as well as other dobs going by the comments on the forum, I have looked through some of them with a 12" dob and was suitably impressed. I think they are great value for money and a worthy upgrade from the standard eyepieces that come as standard with many telescopes.

Archived