NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is my secondary mirror damaged?

Thats looks like the coating has oxidised, of which the majority appears to have started from the mirror edges.

Has it ever been cleaned in the past? Previous cleaning may have effected the the protective coatings. I suspect you would need to get this recoated.

What state is the primary in?

The primary seems fine, but im not sure about it being cleaned in the past, I bought it secondhand. It was a little tatty on the secondary but has got a lot worse. How much is a re coat? I think there is a secondary mirror on astro boot for £30

Recoating your secondary won't be very expensive.

You may have to wait a while though, if the Aluminiser you choose to do it for you doesn't have a batch to do, as it isn't viable to fire up the machine for one small job.

Ron.

Re-coating is the way to go if the glass surface is OK. People worry about washing/cleaning mirrors only in part because of fear of removing coatings. The much bigger worry is that you might scratch the surface, e.g. due to a tiny bit of sand or other hard substance. While a little scratch might not impair overall performance as much as you might expect, the damage is irreversible. Re-figuring a mirror has a very different cost compared to re-coating.

Archived