Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skysafari on Android

Bart

I think someone else has posted a thread on this elsewhere but I just got Skysafari onto my cheapish smart Android phone and Wow, what a boon. I believe it has only been available for Android for a short period . No more traipsing into and back from the garage to consult the laptop to determine coordinates for objects. For less than 10 (i got the middle version "Plus") it is fantastic . All I need now is dark skies.

I have SkEye and MobileObservatory on mine which do 99% the same without taking up so much space, I feel safari might be a bit slow on most phones. The telescope control is a nice touch but would you seriously use it in place of your usual software?

gthomas,

unless i have an outdated version of skeye, it doesnt have a big ngc database. Do i need to add a catalog or something to the skeye? The skysafari plus has the full ngc catalog.

Barry

Hi have SkySafari pro on my Iphone, and it is awesome. It has a phenomenal database, including DSOs, comets, asteroids and stars down to around 17th magnitude, plus all of the minor moons of the outer planets, which is more than CdC has. Very useful for a quick check to plan the night's imaging/observing. It's very fast on the Iphone, too.

Bart, I have version 5.3 which is the latest but the free version only has a database of stars up to mag 6 and 200 brightest NGC objects. The paid for Pro version has stars to mag 8 and the complete NGC catalogue. It costs $12 from SkEye Pro | SlideME because apparently Android market won't allow paid-for apps from India. Go figure.

I think someone else has posted a thread on this elsewhere but I just got Skysafari onto my cheapish smart Android phone and Wow, what a boon. I believe it has only been available for Android for a short period . No more traipsing into and back from the garage to consult the laptop to determine coordinates for objects. For less than 10 (i got the middle version "Plus") it is fantastic . All I need now is dark skies.

What smartphone are you using? I am using a Samsung Galaxy Ace and it runs at 0.5 frame per second :/

Hi have SkySafari pro on my Iphone, and it is awesome. It has a phenomenal database, including DSOs, comets, asteroids and stars down to around 17th magnitude, plus all of the minor moons of the outer planets, which is more than CdC has. Very useful for a quick check to plan the night's imaging/observing. It's very fast on the Iphone, too.

I agree and I do use it to control my telescope. I find it so easy to use and it is very accurate-on my scope.

I can see this on the Android market for a nominal fee - do you know what the difference between this and Google's free Skymap for Android (which I use all the time) ?

It contains more than just Messier objects.

Archived