Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 & M82 23.12.2011

Spikey

I got chance to add some more data & darks to my previous efforts and it's up to 5hrs 20 mins worth of lights now.

I'll certainly do another session on this pair and try and add another few hours worth.

I've tried to process the galaxies individually but I'm probably pushing past the limits of my PS skills and over doing it.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the way this image is going as it's my first go at this target and the most subs time I've collected for any DSO.

It's also a standard Canon 1000D, I have been eyeing up a filter wheel recently so I might have a pop with the 16ic on some LRGB.

Thanks Spikey - I had a brief play with these two but I was nowhere near long enough lol

Sorry the weather has turned, pressure is dropping here - sod's law, get a few days off and the weather turns pants !

Best wishes for the New Year,

Steve

Looking good, I hope the weather clears to get more subs but it's not looking good. Were these with the 80ED? I wouldnt mind playing with your data if you can upload it somewhere like in a public dropbox location, no worries if you can't or don't want too.

I'd say youve got this one nailed Spikey, youve managed not to blow the galaxy cores, and kept the rich colour. I would be well pleased if I were in your shoes! The one thing you might want to look at is the background level, its close to perfect in the crop version, but the wider field could use a wee tweak to take out the colour a bit.

If you try the 16ic on these, i think you will be only able to fit one galaxy in at a time... so tough choice.. cigar or spiral? :p

Thanks for the kind comments and NAdeem I really like how you've got the stars to come out in that re-process.

Quatermass If it wasn't for the SW LPF this would literally be orange galaxies against an orange background, no getting away from the railway floodlights in the part of Crewe where my location is.

After taking on board a few wise words I've re-processed the image slightly. I've killed off the background red I hope, which was my own fault for trying to get the Ha filaments on M82 to stand out.

I've also run a high pass and included a hard light overlay at about 30% (that might sound like I know what I'm doing..........I did say sound :icon_salut:)

I think it's improved the colur and sharpened up the detail very slightly.

I might save the 16iC for M51 but I need to buy a filter wheel and filters first, any adivce/suggestions ? I'm thinking of a manual FW plus Baader filters (not the cheapo colured glass things, the proper ones)

I'm over the moon (pardon the pun) with how this has turned out - Anyway heres another crop :p

Archived