Greetings

RichardL

Hi. I've been watching the posts for a while but thought it about time I introduced myself. I have been an amateur astronomer for some years now, using a 6 inch "Siberia" newtonian - a Tal by another name I think. Mostly from my back garden just NE of London UK. However, I think light pollution and haze have got steadily worse, to the extent that only the brightest stars are visible due S and below zero degrees declination. (I managed to find Uranus a couple of weeks ago, but only because I could get the telescope pointed in the right direction using the setting circles.)

Gathered all my courage last year and washed the primary mirror - and have been struggling with collimation ever since! Currently, if I am looking east of the meridian things seem to vanish in the field of view when I move my eye slightly. All seems to be lined up using a laser collimator; maybe I need to move the secondary up or down the tube. Words of advice welcomed! I'll keep playing with it till it looks right.

BTW, the rate at which new people are signing up seems stupendous. Is it always like this?

Welcome to SGL, Richard.

A truly fine scope you have !

I find the simple '35mm film canister with pinhole' approach, works surprisingly well, for aligning the primary mirror. Centre the secondary under the focuser first, simply with your eye, before touching the primary. Once those two steps have been performed during the day, nothing gets a scope bang on like a star test. Find a bright star, un focus it a bit and look at the circles around the central disc. Adjust the primary until they look as symetrical as possible, then tighten up the central locking screw on the primary mirror cell.

Andy.

Archived