Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue price increase in January

johninderby

While I'm sure you may get more listed at higher prices will they sell ? Other manufacturers offer similar spec (if not quality) ep's at more appealing prices. This may be all that is needed to sway some buyers decissions. Do you go used TV or new Nirwana/UWAN, ES 82'/ 100', Meade or Pentax for less.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they a bit of a rip of, and every one will tell you there the best in the world ,there not and with a 32mm plossl and the 32 mm tv you can not tell much dif in my 12" and thats the trueth

best watch out now for all the tv crew

they a bit of a rip of, and every one will tell you there the best in the world ,there not and with a 32mm plossl and the 32 mm tv you can not tell much dif in my 12" and thats the trueth

best watch out now for all the tv crew

Plossl's are just plossl's at the end of the day who ever makes them. Nagler's, Panoptic's, Delos' and Ethos' are a whole different ball game like it or not.

they a bit of a rip of, and every one will tell you there the best in the world

I would not say they are the best in the world. They have there short comings like any other range of EP's on the market. They are though very well corrected in fast newts as far as wide FOV EP's go. From what I have been told together with what I have read Pentax XW take some beating but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for and you certainly pay for it as far as Pentax goes. When you take this in to consideration it would be hard to argue that TV's are a rip off. The Naglers are competitively priced when looking at the premium end of EP's. For £220 you get an extremely well corrected 82' FOV in scope down to F/4. OK eye relief is a tad tight and the views have a hue to them but this is made up for by the build quality and contrasted views you get from such an eye piece. This is an eye piece you know if looked after will last a lifetime....... (until they release the next EP in the range that everyone wants to be the first to own :()

I'm sure if we got clear skies night after night every keen astronomer would have a case full of TV's as they would be well worth the investment. As it happens were lucky to have clear skies once a month and for those of us who can't justify having hundred of pounds worth of glass laying idly by there are alternatives.

What would be a cheaper equivalent to a Nagler? A Skywatcher Nirvana?

The Nirvana/ Uwan are the next best thing. I owned a 7mm Nirvana and a 28mm Uwan. The 7mm was a lovely eyepiece and i actually found it easier to look through than the 9mm and 13mm Nagler's i had at the time. The 28mm Uwan i sold only recently and still sort of regret having to do so. Lovely piece of kit and again very sharp and easy to use, although aesthetically may not be to everyone's taste.

What would be a cheaper equivalent to a Nagler? A Skywatcher Nirvana?

I've compared the William Optics UWAN / Skywatcher Nirvana (same eyepieces) with their Nagler counterparts and they do offer very comparable performance - 95% of it I would say.

The Explore Scientific 82 degrees eyepieces might be worth consideration too and possibly the Meade 5000 series UWA's.

I have just bought a Nagler 17mm :( This is to add to my Panoptic 35mm I bought used. Problem? Don't even have a telescope yet...! Seriously..... But when I do in a week or so I'll be set. I want a C11 first then a refractor in a few months for wider views.

Steve

EDIT - mean to say i bought it brand new. Good second hand ones are rarer than clear nights or hens teeth

Archived