Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces anonymous

Adz

Hi all,

I would like to welcome you to my club. It is eyepieces anonymous and it is a very real condition. Some people possess the ideal to keep collecting more and more expensive glass in a foolish quest for the 'ultimate setup'. I am one of these people and have come to realise this. What is it? The first step to a cure is recognition...or something like that :D

I will definitely be getting rid of some of these soon, need a more precise collection!

ps. Sorry about the shot, christmas lights do crazy things to a cheap cameras colour balance

adz-albums-my-equipment-picture14937-dscn3455.jpg

I am opening up a home for unwanted and unloved Baader and Teleview eyepieces where they will be cared for in thier old age and where they can meet other eyepieces in the same situation,i dont even charge rent.....Just let me know when you want me to take these poor eyepieces of your hands!:D

Hi Adam, this is a dreadfully bad condition. I feel so very sorry for you.

But I am perfectly normal. I bring out my eyepieces when it's cloudy and give 'em a stroke, then check obsessively for any dust, then get out my calculator to work out magnifications and field of view with my various scopes, then go online to read eyepiece reviews, then check ads for prices, back to reviews to see if I need any more eyepieces and what mags & FOV they would give, then look for the for sale section (no luck there at the mo !) then look outside to see if it's clear so I can actually use the flippin' things, then go through the whole routine again.

Apart from all this, as I said, I am perfectly normal.

Happy Christmas & new year ! Ed.

Ags, Is that which handbags or which hard drugs?

I collect glass of almost any sort, eyepieces are just one aspect. Have a nice collection of glass paperweights (Baccarat make eyepieces look cheap) and other items I have collected around the world.

Gets bad when you consider a complete set of eyepieces at a time not just one or two.

Very nice collection you have there Adam. Come a long way in a short time :D

Thanks Spaceboy :) Quite a few of us have seemed to travel this road...

Just let me know when you want me to take these poor eyepieces of your hands!:icon_eek:

Nice try :headbang: Although any serious in wanting some of them. Keep an eye on astro buy and sell if I do decide which ones are going :)

Adam, you ain't even close. Up to 40+ already...Do you manage to use them?

Wow, you're right! That is quite a few. I have to say that I do use all my kit though, have managed to sell things I don't use. But there is a fine line to also selling things I don't NEED :headbang:

Only amateurs use their eyepieces - that risks getting them dirty and the locking screws mar the EP barrel.

Then I am most definitely an amateur Ags! I guess I could be bother about the screw fixing marks, but I am more worried about an expensive eyepiece falling out of the focuser!

I bring out my eyepieces when it's cloudy and give 'em a stroke, then check obsessively for any dust, then get out my calculator to work out magnifications and field of view with my various scopes, then go online to read eyepiece reviews, then check ads for prices, back to reviews to see if I need any more eyepieces and what mags & FOV they would give, then look for the for sale section (no luck there at the mo !) then look outside to see if it's clear so I can actually use the flippin' things, then go through the whole routine again.

Apart from all this, as I said, I am perfectly normal.

Happy Christmas & new year ! Ed.

Ha thanks Ed, it sounds like we have A LOT in common! Don't forget calculating the perfect eyepiece set whilst at work. :)

A BBC program put a designer handbag junkie in an FMRI scanner and images of handbags showed the same pattern of stimulation in her brain as hard drugs (can't remember which ones).
Ags, Is that which handbags or which hard drugs?

I collect glass of almost any sort, eyepieces are just one aspect. Have a nice collection of glass paperweights (Baccarat make eyepieces look cheap) and other items I have collected around the world.

Gets bad when you consider a complete set of eyepieces at a time not just one or two.

Definitely feels like breaking an addicting habit. I even considered having two eyepiece sets. A full BGO set and some televue wide fov eyepieces. Then reality kicked in!

if cheap camera have this effect why not have used the cannon 1100d ?

Didn't have it at the time bud :D

I am finally prepared to admit that I have a problem.

By good fortune I was able to take advantage of the Televue 20% off sale 6 months ago back in May. I found a further 11% off coupon code. The euro was buying $1.45 at the time. I had relations in the states that I could have the eyepieces dispatched to who could forward them on to me in Ireland. I ended up getting the 3.7,6,8,10,13,17,21mm ethoi and a 31mm Nagler. I ended up paying 2200 euros for them while the regular price in europe was 4500 euros back in May.

I just noticed that the euro is now trading at $1.29 and the eyepieces now cost 4950 euros in Europe.

Televue are increasing their prices on Sunday January 1st 2012. This will add 695 euros to the cost of the aforementioned eyepieces bringing the new grand total to about 5650 euros.

Remember I paid 2200 euros only 6 months ago.

So the question is, should I be certified for not being inclined to sell them on for over double the money?? :p

My scope is still in bits so the eyepieces haven't even been used once yet!! :icon_salut:

I am finally prepared to admit that I have a problem.

By good fortune I was able to take advantage of the Televue 20% off sale 6 months ago back in May. I found a further 11% off coupon code. The euro was buying $1.45 at the time. I had relations in the states that I could have the eyepieces dispatched to who could forward them on to me in Ireland. I ended up getting the 3.7,6,8,10,13,17,21mm ethoi and a 31mm Nagler. I ended up paying 2200 euros for them while the regular price in europe was 4500 euros back in May.

I just noticed that the euro is now trading at $1.29 and the eyepieces now cost 4950 euros in Europe.

Televue are increasing their prices on Sunday January 1st 2012. This will add 695 euros to the cost of the aforementioned eyepieces bringing the new grand total to about 5650 euros.

Remember I paid 2200 euros only 6 months ago.

So the question is, should I be certified for not being inclined to sell them on for over double the money?? :icon_salut:

My scope is still in bits so the eyepieces haven't even been used once yet!! :confused:

That is no problem! Just a stonkingly good deal at the time! I can pretty much vouch on the forum that everyone else is jealous... Can't believe you haven't used them though...:p

That Antares in the middle just looks so wrong - get rid of that and problem solved? :D

Ha ha never! The antares just works to goddam well with my ethos ;)

That collection is crazy price when you think that some of just one of the ethoses are around £500. Probably only ever the 13mm for me!

I have sold my 13mm nagler and 8mm Plossl

So now the collection is:

35 Panoptic 34x

24 Panoptic 50x

18 BGO 67x

13 Ethos 92x

12.5 BGO 96x

9 BGO 133x

8 Ethos (1.6 :p 150x

6 BGO 200x

6-3 Nagler Zoom 200x

240x

300x

400x

I am sure things will change and people may well say the BGO's are pretty pointless in my collection. But they are just too damn cute and quality!

I don't want to make anyone jealous :icon_salut: I think its the blood from my half Scots granny seeking a tip of the hat from the Scots lads for the 'canny' purchase. :p:confused: Like, I knew it was a great deal and investment at the time at 2200 -v- 4500 euros but the increase to 5650 within six months has me giddy again. I cannot believe my luck! :D

Actually, the for-knowledge that I wouldn't get to use them till 2012 due to a scope still half modded and in pieces for 2 years due to work and family health issues made the decision at the time on whether or not to purchase the eyepieces a very hard one. I almost didn't buy for the very reason that they may gather dust in a box for a year till Spring 2012.

Thanking my lucky Stars I decided to bite the bullet!!

In other words, I was still kinda mad to get them but it worked out well in the end and I have my lifetime set now I think. Well, I may actually sell the 31mm Nagler. I set up Sky Safari on my iPhone with the TFOV of the 21mm Ethos and the 31mm Nagler and there is not much between them. This was confirmed with a quick visual test with them both in my Finderscope (The one part of my scope that isn't in bits) I'll probably use the sale of the 31mm Nagler to fund the purchase of the 4.7 Ethos. I always new the 3.7 would be a very high power rarely used in my scope at about 550x but I had to have it for those once a year nights where the seeing is perfect and for the Lunar orbiter porthole 110º AFOV. I knew the 6mm would probably get much more use. Now that Televue have released the 4.7mm I think it will be a nice fit where the seeing allows me to push the mag past what the 6mm can provide but not good enough for the 3.7mm.

Anyway, at least they have somewhere nice and comfortable to gather dust in. :p

5941566810_611c2c872a.jpg

Talking about gathering dust is why I flogged my TV's. As much as I liked the views the Nags gave I now like the view on my bank statement more :) I admit the lure of the green & black is addictive and when the seeing is good on 82' of sky you can often forget that we suffer clouds for the other 8 months of the year.

Ha nice try :( But this set I can see to not change for a long time (an eyepiece junkies last words)

worked out the mags

200P - 34x, 50x, 92, 150x, 200x, 240x, 300x, 400x.

PST - 16x, 30x, 66x, 80x, 100x, 133.

Obviously the latter magnifications are a rariety

I would love one, and had considered one based on Damo's review and opinions of it. Have to keep reminding myself I wouldn't have that 24mm Pan (1.25") which works great as the lowest power in my PST :(

Archived