Flocking - is it worth the effort?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, this is one project I must do to my 200P!!

Thanks Beulah, that's a cracking summary of how to complete the whole job!!:D

I'll print that off and use it if you don't mind!:)

Doc

Have a look at Johninderby's post as well (above this one) - and it has pictures too! :)

Nice tutorial, John. :icon_eek:

Collimate

Bob's your mother's brother.

When I first read this I was reminded of a recipe for rabbit stew - "First catch your rabbit" :D

However, as a Dobo new owner I'm gradually realising how straightforward a lot of these mods and projects really are (e.g. this afternoon I started on some easy stuff - constructed a new light shield, fitted a 9x50 RA & Telrad finder and fitted Bobs Knobs to secondary).

In the process had a good look round my new scope and started planning the next mod (i.e. flocking).

Cut a long story short I'll be:

1) Disassembling relevant parts of my new scope (cough, choke, gasp - anathema to an SCT owner! :))

2) Ordering some Flocking material from FLO

3) Flocking upper half of my flextube 250PX

4) Painting edges of secondary mirror

5) Reassembling telescope (gulp!)

6) "Collimating"

I've also previously viewed some excellent guidance on

and
(courtesy Astronomy Shed).

Along with the sound advice on SGL they give me a lot of confidence tackling dobo mods...

hi there i did my 12" ages ago now glad i did,i got the chance to view the night before make sure if you do to buy some good glue for the edges of the flocking do not just stick it in as it comes so to speak

when i tested mine the night i did it (should have let the glue cure) i was happy that it made a small difference and it now is like a dark tunnel the tube worked for me i also noticed that dew was no longer a prob on the outside of the tube

on another note how is the uhc s filter ? i have the 0iii filter which is very agressive but not in the 12" does it give better views ?of nebs ect

Very interesting read I might do the same to my 200P sometime in the new year. Has anyone got any objects they have taken of the night sky with a before flocking & after just to see how much the image has improved?

I have some spare sheets of Protostar flocking paper if anyone's interested. There are 3 sheets ...75cm x 50cm, 75cm x 41cm and 66cm x 50cm. The Protostar paper is purpose designed for optical equipment and has virtually zero reflectivity -it's generally considered the best for the job. My sheets are the self-adhesive type and come with fitting instructions.

They are quite expensive to import from the States, so I would need to make a nominal charge. I'm afraid.

Send me a private message if interested. Cheers.

Alan

Damn Alan, if only I had read your post before buying off FLO :p

Does anyone have any help on flocking the focuser?

Is it just a case of going around the inside with the material, or does it trap off some of the light going towards the eyepiece as it makes is narrower...?

Thanks

Archived