Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

North Korean Light Pollution

laser_jock99

From New Scientist

C0044096-Korea_at_night%2C_satellite_image-SPL.jpg

The world's most secretive country is also one of its darkest. This satellite image shows night in North Korea. The capital Pyongyang, near the western coast, is one of the only places in the country with electricity. At the top of the picture, the illuminations show cities in China. At the bottom right, Kyushu and the southern islands of Japan.

The bright line in the middle of the peninsula marks the demilitarised zone between North and South Korea, and the southern capital, Seoul, is the blaze of white just across the border. Night-time luminosity is thought to correlate with economic prosperity, by which measure North Korea is practically penniless.

I think they wouldnt let you bring in computerised mounts, not to talk about DSLR's and notebook PC's.

Dobs is nothing but a piece of metal, glass and wood.So i hope it wouldnt be a problem.:)

I think we should consider organizing world-wide level star party in North Korea.:(

They may be starving to death, but they surely have AMAZING nightsky.

I'm sure that would go down well... :)

Quite surprised at how little light pollution they have there though. Wouldn't have thought it.

I lived in South Korea a few years ago and the government offered to connect the electricity supply from the South to the North, as a kind of peace offering.

It was rejected by the late departed leader of the North.

It was reported that the vast majority of the electrical infrastructure was in disrepair. Most of the pylons were down and virtually all of the HT cables had gone.

One company I worked for, General Electric, even offered to supply “semi mobile” 110MW Turbine generators. Sponsored by the US gov of course. But this was also turned down.

It’s rather sad that the people there are living in such conditions and it’s not likely to change following the departure of their “much loved” leader.

Regards

Dave

I think they wouldnt let you bring in computerised mounts, not to talk about DSLR's and notebook PC's.

Dobs is nothing but a piece of metal, glass and wood.So i hope it wouldnt be a problem.:)

It's better be made in China as well. Slap a big Communist crest on it and only use Svnta eyepieces just in case. Those North Korean will think you are a spy if you bring a 'Made in the USA' Obsession.

I have found a complementary map, depicting North Korean light pollution between 1992 and 2008

Thats quite interesting - it shows how South Korea has 'developed' in 18 years an nil 'progress' in the North.

For me the satelite image illustrated two completely differing issues. In the North you can clearly see how the communist regime has completely failed the North Korean people. On the other hand in the South you can see how industrialization, development and our wasteful 'need' to turn night into day has completely wrecked the night sky environment there.

For me the lesson that should be learned from this image is that there must be some happy medium between over devoplment and protecting our environment?

This is from the Times .Combining absolute rule & a fanatical cult of personality,the regime of KimII Sung & his son Kim Jon II achieved even greater catastrophe for North Koreans than suppression & mass starvation .It has left a population of some 24 million people physically stunted owing to mainutrition & emotionally & intellectually impoverished.Not a nice place to live.

Steve.

Archived