Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explorer 150PL Focuser upgrade - is there any point?

I've got a 150PL and as good and enjoyable as it is, the focuser is a bit on the guff side. I was planning on a 250mm upgrade at some point but a new financial development has kicked me in the proverbial shins so I'll be using this telescope for quite a while.

So, my question for the knowledgeable masses of SGL is about upgrades. Is it worthwile upgrading a focuser on these tubes, given the resale value? And as such would any holes drilled etc match those for the stock focuser of, say, a 250mm so I could switch the focusers over when I do finally upgrade to a new telescope?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be perfectly honest I don't know if it's worth it but I guess it's up to what you feel comfortable with. I'm hoping Santa brings me the SW autofocuser in the hope that it will help a bit and then see if it may be worth an upgrade.

the way I looked at it was that the improvement of the focuser would be to the benefit of all of my ovserving and eyepieces. once you have a 10:1 fine focus, it's something you really miss when not on the scope you are using.

personally, I feel it's worth it. You can always take it off and replace if / when you sell.

Cheers, I'm not daunted by having to cut the hole or anything after seeing Johninderby's thread http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/119323-fitting-2-focuser-skywatcher-150pl-newt-ota.html

I want to build a decent eyepiece collection in advance of upgrading the telescope so a decent focuser makes sense.

I'll likely do it, then. I'll flock it while I've dismantled it as well. If I'm stuck with it for the next year then it might as well be at it's best and if II ever have to sell it then it might as well be pimped to the max, eh?

I upgraded the focuser on my Sw150P. It only had the standard R&P focuser, as i bought in 2009 before they came with crayfords. I fitted a Revelation dual speed 10:1. It is great having the fine focus and the option in the future to use 2" EPs. Really quite easy to adapt the tube. The only problem I had was getting a suitable base plate. The one that came with the Revelation was suited to a 8" or larger scope. I had planned on buying the correct base plate from Scopes and Skies astroboot, but they had the site off-line for ages. I ended up getting one from Telescope Service in Germany. I needed to stick it on a lathe to open the central hole for the focus tube by 2-3mm.

Keep the original focuser so that you can refit it to the tube if you want to sell it on.

Oh yeah the other thing was that Telescope House dropped the price of the Revelation focuser from approx £90 to £60 a few days after I bought it:(

Still please with it though.

If it's simply a matter of the coarse nature of the standard crayford, perhaps the MicroFocuser upgrade for Crayford Focusers (scroll down until you see it) may be a cost effective upgrade?

Had I not been distracted by a second hand WO ZS80II, this was on my 'to do next' list for the 200P. I suspect it still is..

Russell

If it's simply a matter of the coarse nature of the standard crayford, perhaps the MicroFocuser upgrade for Crayford Focusers (scroll down until you see it) may be a cost effective upgrade?

Had I not been distracted by a second hand WO ZS80II, this was on my 'to do next' list for the 200P. I suspect it still is..

Russell

To make you understand, the 150PL has a rack and pinion focuser not a crayford. It's very basic and can be wiggled around in it's frame. The 150P has a Crayford but this model has only a 1.25" Rack and Pinion. I doubt you'd be able to refit the current one after replacement since the hole would need enlarging and new holes drilled but if tge baseplate is a formfactor that would be a straight swap on say a 250P then perhaps I could swap the focusers over if I upgrade.

one thing that just struck me is that the focuser could be serviced to improve performance which might solve your problem.

there are often a couple of small grub screws on the top of the body which can be tightened slightly and this helps.

also, cleaning off and replacing the grease in the R&P with white lithium grease would help smooth it out.

you can also add 'mouse tape' (like teflon cellotape) to the top of the drawtube and this also helps tighten things up.

all this would cost about £2 so maybe worth a go first? you might be surprised.

Do you know, I've fiddled with pretty much everything on my telescope and it's previous EQ3 and I nevernoticed those holes on the focuser before. I'll give it a crack over the weekend and if I get it smooth I may invest in the autofocuser upgrade instead.

Cheers, mate!

I want to build a decent eyepiece collection in advance of upgrading the telescope

Take care here. Make sure you pay attention to the specifications of your intended upgrade, or you may be buying and selling a lot more after you get it.

Most eyepieces will work in most scopes, but not all, so be careful.

Regards Steve

Take care here. Make sure you pay attention to the specifications of your intended upgrade, or you may be buying and selling a lot more after you get it.

Most eyepieces will work in most scopes, but not all, so be careful.

Regards Steve

this is very good advice from Steve. although most eyepieces will work OK, there are certain focal lengths and apparent fields, weights and focus positions etc that will be optimum for the scope you have.

I effectively have two eyepiece sets for my big fast dob and my smaller slower dob. scopes (especially used) are often cheaper than eyepieces and therefore it makes some sense to buy the scope first and then buy the eyepieces.

I think a slower 6" newt will always have a valid place in your kit and assuming you are likely to go for more aperture next, it may be better to buy the scope first and then base your future eyepiece purchases on your experiences with both scopes.

one thing that just struck me is that the focuser could be serviced to improve performance which might solve your problem.

there are often a couple of small grub screws on the top of the body which can be tightened slightly and this helps.

also, cleaning off and replacing the grease in the R&P with white lithium grease would help smooth it out.

you can also add 'mouse tape' (like teflon cellotape) to the top of the drawtube and this also helps tighten things up.

all this would cost about £2 so maybe worth a go first? you might be surprised.

Just thought Id report back.

I broke the moving parts down and gave them a good clean to get rid of the glue Synta call grease and regreased with Lithium grease. I put it all back together and fiddled with the grub screws and the four tension screws on the bottom and I have to say it's a fair bit better!

I don't get any up and down movement now and it's all quite smooth. I do get a bit of side to side but I think that'll go once I get the mouse tape.

All in all, I think I can live with it like this, I'll likely still get the auto focus motor just to be posh, though.

Thanks for all the help, Moonshane!

no worries - happy to help.

I have just done the same with mine on my new to me 150mm f6. it's also a 1.25" focuser and after cleaning, regreasing, filing down the stand offs on the rack a bit and lithium grease it also seems a lot better.

I still hanker after a single speed moonlite or Baader Steeltrack though and maybe I'll get one eventually but not immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

Would this not be a worthy consideration? SkyWatcher Dual-Speed 2-inch Crayford Focuser Explorer 150-300P [skyWatcher-20241] - 93.00 : 365Astronomy: Discovery for every day!

No difficult mods required to fit and gives you the 10:1 ratio...

I'm also considering upgrading the focusser, so perhaps will try giving it a clean and tidy-up first. Very close to clicking 'buy' on this though!

Archived