Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explorer 150PL Focuser upgrade - is there any point?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, having done a bit more research, I've opted for the Sky Watcher Auto-Focuser instead. Only £45 and it reports to solve all the wobble issues and gives as accurate control over focus as a 10:1 crayford. Should arrive tomorrow, so I'll report back how I get on with it. :)

Well, having done a bit more research, I've opted for the Sky Watcher Auto-Focuser instead. Only £45 and it reports to solve all the wobble issues and gives as accurate control over focus as a 10:1 crayford. Should arrive tomorrow, so I'll report back how I get on with it. :o

Disaster strikes. Turns out, even though the auto-focuser is described as being compatible with the Explorer 150, it's not compatible with my 150PL. The motor is supposed to attach onto one side of the R&P focuser having removed the grip/knob, but the hole is not big enough to accept the thread ended shaft on my particular focuser. The instructions suggest that you have to remove a central screw on the knob, but my does not have this and instead screws directly onto the shaft. Damn.

Parus Major, I suspect this would be the same for your's?

Now, do I attempt to modify the motor, or do I just eccept defeat?! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Did you manage to get the thing going, Nastyness?

After having a shot of the tweeked focuser I did find it much better but I've decided to go for the 10:1 Crayford upgrade. It's unlikely I'll be getting a larger aperture telescope any time soon so I might as well make what I have a more pleasurable experience. I've ordered two rolls of tube flock from Flo already and I'll be phoning them during the week for guidance on focuser options.

A pimped up 150PL coming my way!

Did you manage to get the thing going, Nastyness?

I did actually! And it's brilliant! No wobble at all anymore and allows very precise focusing! I read some complaints on here about having to fight against the motor when doing a manual focus to get you somewhere near before you start using the auto, but I've found if you have the cable disconnected from the motor first, it's actually fine. I was also considering a 2-speed crayford, but to be honest, now I have this I don't see the point. Highly recommended. :)

Excellent! What was the solution?

The motor had an adapter on the shaft, not sure if it was supposed to be there or not as it wasn't mentioned or visible in the instructions. Anyway, I removed it and the problem was solved!

If your reasons for upgrading the focuser are to reduce wobble and give you better control over fine tuning the focus, I really would recommend you try one of these before you do. Unless of course, you're upgrading to a 2" at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived