Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My new imaging set-up

My new imaging set-up, (I hope the photo displays), consisting of the following, (from the bottom up):

1. Skywatcher NEQ6 pro Synscan mount

2. Hitecastro EQDIR USB interface

3. Hitecastro Multi dewband heater controller

4. 8 inch f4 reflector with long exposure spc900

5. ST 102 refractor guidescope with QHY5 Guidecamera

6. EOS 450d camera with L series 70 - 200mm lens

There is also a bucketload of wires. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make them neater...

Anyhows, i feel that after some toerag relieved me from my LX200, I am finally getting back there.

Any comments or suggestions would be well received.

post-26280-133877706491_thumb.jpg

Wot no motor focuser :icon_salut:

Have you thought about using some cable tidies or velcro loops for the cables. Not only will it stop you snagging cables but it wil certainly help with the setup and dismantling. Nothing worse trying to untangle spaghetti at 4am at 2C

I don't like to use cable ties that take a long time to unfasten because you are BOUND to get a dud USB connection when you don't want one! I quite like velcro.

I also like knicker elastic a lot! (Can I get thrown off for this?) I have elastic loops round cameras and OTAs and thread cables through these to help control them.

Cables are a nightmare, though. In my case I often have to change things around so that guests can use their camera in my scope, etc etc, and it's amazing how long it takes. One of those things. Makes us look very clever, though, knowing what all those wires do. Or claiming we do!

Olly

Shame on you! That looks terrible and is bound to give you problems in the dark (or light, for that matter) :icon_salut:

I use the nylon "chinese fingers" type of cable protector. The image is from my previous scope that I had to send back due to bad optics, but my cable ideas remain the same. I have just completed a very compact cable that goes from the case up to the mount and on to the EdgeHD 9.25 with CCD, guide camera, dew heater power and filter wheel. All in one neat package. Works like a charm!

If you have variants of the set up I would recommend building separate cables for the different set ups.

In my case (pun) all cables terminate at the case, which also has 40AH of power in it, and the computer is connected with ONE USB extender only. I have a USB to CAT5 extender that can do 50 m on the way in, but presently I use a ten meter active cable.

I'll post a picture of the cable for the EdgeHD 9.25 when I set it up the next time - which may be a while as there are no clear nights in sight :)

m90-1.jpg

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

Hi Blueman

Perfrej's setup is sweet.

All you're missing is the Christmas Fairy and the tree lights.

Get the led ones, they use less power and don't fail in the middle of an imaging run. :icon_salut:

Obviously you've realised there's a problem with your cabling and have sensibly requested solutions, so I'll shut up about it now.

Here's a quote from a robotic LX200 user, where cable wraps and snags just mustn't happen:

I have at least twenty cables running between the telescope and mount. Needless to say cable management is an important issue. I support one end the cable bundle high and a few feet to one side of the mount. The bundle is attached to the telescope at the declination rotation axis. There is enough of a loop of cable hanging down to completely wrap around the telescope in all directions to

the limits of scope moment The cable loop is loosely held together by a few Velcro ties and is flexible enough to just flop itself over the telescope without catching or tangling with anything. I take great care to make sure the cable loop is always clear before leaving the building.

Hooray, I finally got everything working. It all now talks to the laptop. (why do they never put enough USB ports on them). I must say a big thank-you to Poundland for stocking USB extension cables and hubs, all at £1 each. Bargain...

Gotta get my cables as neat as that.... Make life so much easier.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

The skies are clear, but it's so damn cold.

...until you need to change one. They pack up and the neater they are (unless someone has a new idea!!) the longer it takes to change them. Vicious circle.

Olly

Shame on you! That looks terrible and is bound to give you problems in the dark (or light, for that matter) :(

I use the nylon "chinese fingers" type of cable protector. The image is from my previous scope that I had to send back due to bad optics, but my cable ideas remain the same. I have just completed a very compact cable that goes from the case up to the mount and on to the EdgeHD 9.25 with CCD, guide camera, dew heater power and filter wheel. All in one neat package. Works like a charm!

If you have variants of the set up I would recommend building separate cables for the different set ups.

In my case (pun) all cables terminate at the case, which also has 40AH of power in it, and the computer is connected with ONE USB extender only. I have a USB to CAT5 extender that can do 50 m on the way in, but presently I use a ten meter active cable.

I'll post a picture of the cable for the EdgeHD 9.25 when I set it up the next time - which may be a while as there are no clear nights in sight :p

m90-1.jpg

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

the case you have there is an excellent idea.you should market it.both set ups are very good way better than mine,the top shot reminds me of my sound system with all those cables.but that case is what drew my attention.the fact that its power and connections all in one and various connections.would in my opinion make it a good sale.:)

Merry Christmas!

Last night was Christmas Eve, which is the evening of celebration and gifts in Sweden, and I actually had clear skies throughout the night. Lo and behold!

Anyway, I promised some pictures of the new EdgeHD 9.25 setup...

NEQ6, EdgeHD9.25, SX filter wheel, SBIG ST8300M, Orion guider and guidescope, Lepus 0.63 reducer, Kendrick dew shield with regulated heat and, the subject of the discussion, my cable harness and case.

I must apologise for the little packet of wires hanging loose just where the harness mates with the OTA. It is an extra fork that is for an EOS 1000D and I just tied it there (looks awful :D).

The setting is my balcony which is not too light polluted. As I am imaging mostly in narrowband LP is not a big problem anyway.

Have a nice Christmas!

edge01.jpg

edge02.jpg

edge03.jpg

edge04.jpg

Move as one? Nope. I take the scope off and either leave the mount out or bring that in too. In order to not ruin my back I usually take the counter weights off as well. The case, with 40Ah worth of lead-acid gel power, is also a beast to carry...

/p

Archived