NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My Christmas Present!

Damo636

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No don't worry Adam its not Irreversible.

Just check they aren't pinching your primary. If over tightened they can make the scope perform badly.

If so just loosen them a bit no harm done.

They should just hold the primary not squeeze it.

Regards Steve

I think the clips being referred to are the ones that hold the mirror into it's cell - the ones you can see looking down the tube - usually 3 of them but sometimes 6. They should not be quite touching the mirror surface but should be very close to it - the thickness of a piece of thin card used to be cited as a guide. If they are pressed down onto the mirror they can cause a slight temporary distortion in the figure of the mirror which causes visible aberrations.

Overtightening the collimation locking screws can cause problems too - those screws should be just finger tight, not more. Many folks don't use them at all.

Thanks for the clarification John. Today I took out the primary mirror to take a look at the holding clips. They were very tight... I am hoping this is the reason for my star patterns. If there is still a problem I will create a new thread, I don't want to sabotage this one any further!

Hey Adam. I will be very interested to hear the outcome of loosening the holding clips. I have had the primary out on a couple of occasions but its something i have never thought of checking.

PS. Don't worry about sabotaging the thread, i promise i won't take offense :p

Okay I have fully pulled my scope apart, ready to flock it. During this I have adjusted the primary retaining clips so a piece of card can fit in between them and the mirror.

Hopefully this will solve the problem, will get back to you guys after my next session :p

• 4 weeks later...

Little update then. Took the whole scope apart, flocked the OTA and focuser, blackened the secondary sides and loosened the primary retaining clips (they were very tight). Bought a second hand hotech collimator to really get my collimation great and stress free, I really like things to be as optically perfect as possible (a little OCD I know!).

After all of this, I should have known I wouldn't have a clear night for 3 weeks :D

Oh and did I mention I bought a 3-6 Nagler to try out and haven't had a go with that yet, WHY DO WE DO THIS TO OURSELVES! :)

A big thanks to the people who offered advice on my problem instead of patronising like some other forums might etc. Especially to Steve, John and Damo.

Who's going to SGL7? I would like to get you guys a beer. And this is all before I have seen whether my stars now look great in my scope!

Archived