Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What makes a good dark-sky site?

Apart from being dark that is!

I'm looking to find somewhere that is better than the back garden so I;m keen to know some things like - what kind of dark?

It seems that the further from large towns the better but is this more important than being away from smaller local light sources or can you cope by looking away?

Is it important to be high up or is it better to be shielded in a valley - though you obviously lose the near horizon objects. If the higher site is above a few villages in the distanc, is this going to have a big effect?

Also, from a more practical perspective, what do people want if meeting up. Are toilets essential nearby or do most people not care. How far are most people prepared to walk and how much gear do people generally take with?

Sorry to ask so many Q's but I have a few places in mind and it would be nice to have some ideas on selection

Hi

Are you a member of your local society, as they normally have a decent site from which to observe?

Being far away from big cities is a major improvement. I think the further the better.

Local lights can be avoided but overall sky glow cannot.

Altitude observing can be great but it can also bring problems such as wind. Try to avoid valleys as they tend to be the places mist and fog collect. Best on the lee side of a hill.

Regards Steve

good question as i live about 4 miles from where my local astronomy obs is.....i can imagine there to be just a little more darker than where i live but i dunno how light pollution works....:icon_salut: my south give darker views than my north thats for sure..

karly :)

Come up to this place,no towns,no villages,no lights.Just miles and miles of nowt and no light pollution.This is a view from Loch More in Caithness looking across Sutherland,thats the bit near the top of the map where the choochters live :icon_salut: which has the darkest skies in the country,bit of a drive for you though.

Lochsideflickr.jpg

The plan is to have a meet at the Mountain Center early next year but no date has been set.Up to now there should be about 6 of us for the crimbo meet you should join us.The site at Blaenavon has very little light pollution and you get a 360* view of the night night sky.

I will take you up on that next year! Stewart.

I would love to take myself up on the offer.I only live about 20 miles away and i have been waiting on a clear night with no moon since September,nearly 4 months on and i still havent been out.I only hope the winter/spring brings us some observable skies on a regular basis.

i have been waiting on a clear night with no moon since September,nearly 4 months on and i still havent been out
This is a good point: the darkest sky around is of no good if it's overcast! That's generally a problem with Scotland in general.

From my website:

The ideal stargazing location will:

• Be free of light pollution, i.e. no street lighting or skyglow
  • Have a flat, unobstructed southern horizon (1)
  • Have a good level of personal security
  • Have hard standing
  • Have no vehicle traffic (2)
  • Be on public land
  • Have good vehicle access

(1) In the northern hemisphere most interesting objects are to the south. For instance, the plane of the ecliptic is the invisible path across the sky which the sun, moon and planets appear to move along.

(2) Vehicle traffic = light pollution and unwanted interest.

As you can see that’s quite a list of demands, some of which conflict with others. For this reason most stargazers compromise on location.

Small scale local light is less of a disadvantage than an all pervading glow from further away.

Being at altitude is great if you are in a very large scale dark area but, if you are not, then being in a crater of some kind is better because you don't look down on every light bulb within a hundred mile radius.

As pointed out above, temp inversions filling valleys are bad news but this tends to be a wee hours of the morning phenomenon, maybe?

I escaped to a high site, in a natural crater, in south east France, with minmal local LP and minimal non-local!! A quite extreme decision, I know...

Olly

Come up to this place,no towns,no villages,no lights.Just miles and miles of nowt and no light pollution.This is a view from Loch More in Caithness looking across Sutherland,thats the bit near the top of the map where the choochters live :icon_salut: which has the darkest skies in the country,bit of a drive for you though.

Forget Sutherland- get yourself into the Cambrian Mountains. Very little local light pollution and a LOT closer!

CambrianLightPollution.jpg

Archived