Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

spot on Jupiter

paul mc c

I was all set up, crystal clear skies, yippee, went in to get the eyepieces, heard a special on Radio 4's The Now Show about Kepler 22b, listened for a few minutes, laughed my head off, went back out with a smile on my face, found the rain chucking down on my scope.

Glad you got some good viewing.

I have just come in from observing Jupiter. I made a quick sketch which included NEB, SEB and two other belts but i didn't notice anything unusual. The 4 moons were visible but were not crossing the planet. Sorry but I didnt notice any unusual spots. My seeing was not brilliant so may not have been able to see the detail that you could :)

Yes i observed barges,in fact there is one just coming into view now,this may be what i am looking at,it is just i have never seen one in this area before,

and it is quite small,and as i say i have excellent seeing at the minute.

Paul

Hi Peter is it the two barges on show at the minute you were looking at,the spot i observed was at 7.40 our time it was far fainter that the usual barges and i was able to see it until it was gone behind the limb.Its -2 here at the minute.

just finished viewing jupiter, been viewing it for around 2 hours could see 1 barge and the great red(light pink)spot then anoyher barge appeared as 1 left. was just waiting to see orion neb and it started to snow was gutted panicking to get my scope away didnt no were to run. nice and dry now though.

It would be visible - it is a very large feature. I find this year it is hard to spot because it is nearly the same colour as the SEB. You have to look for a characteristic bulge, with some dark fringes or indentations where it meets the rest of the SEB.

Archived