NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is the Celestron 6/8 SE Mount Like

Matt2011

Thinking about swapping my CG-5 GT Mount for a Celestron 6/8 SE mount and have been finding the CG-5 GT mount complicated and taking to long to set up with my Skywatcher 127 Mak, Would anyone recommend the SE mount with the Nexstar software also. :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SE 6/8 mount is very stable. I have not had any problem viewing up to 200x with my C6. It will also take some refractors, but you have to be careful so the diagonal does not hit the base. The Alt axis uses a friction clutch mechanism, so it can be moved by hand, and if the scope hit the base, it will only affect alignment, the drives will be safe.

Three stars alignment is very accurate and the GOTO always put the object into the FOV of a C6 + 25mm plossl. I have had no problem with that mount so far, except the weird date format.

I preferred the SE's GOTO to my Vixen SBS's GOTO. There are few minor issues with this mount, firstly it doesn't have a unlockable clutch like the CG5, so Az is stuck when battery runs out. Also, it's an Alt-Az mount, so it won't work for astrophotography.

However, if you are after a good AltAz goto mount, then this is a good choice. I tend to use mine when I'm look for unfamiliar objects. For general observing, I use my dual axis drive EQ4/5. A non goto equatorial mount is much quicker to set up.

I have no desire to do astrophotography but may in the future but all I am looking for is an wasy set up but I am want to swap my CG-5 GT mount for a Celestron 6/8 SE mount. I have a Skywatcher 127 OTA to mount it on. Thanks

I agree with Keith. Mine gets a lot of use. I mostly use it for solar observing (you can do a solar system alignment using the sun), but sometime put my 125 Mak on it for grab and go. Its good for taking on holiday too (no counterweights etc to worry about!).

Although its Alt Az you'll still be able to do some solar system astrophotography with a webcam.

Helen

I know the quality of the software is good on the Celestron mounts but the diagonal can hit the base which has been mentioned. There are other GoTo alt/az mounts which I understand have had good reviews.

I appreciate this one is slightly more expensive but it is food for thought.

Ioptron Minitower GOTO mount :: iOptron Minitower GOTO mounts :: Mounts & Tripods :: Altair Astro

Mark

Actually the diagonal problem only affects longer OTA. While my SV80 Apo will hit the base, my C6 with 2" visual back and 2" diagonal clears it with no problem. The 127 should be fine, since it's smaller than the C6. However, if you upgrade your scope in the future, this is one thing you need to think about.

Thanks, I might just persevere with my CG-5 GT mount and have another go trying to set this up, One thing that does put me off with the Equatorial Mounts and the Goto as well is the long and complicated set ups. Going to buy a Spirt Level from B&Q amd make sure the mount is steady and also make sure that polaris appears more to the left in the polar axis where the polarscope should be and that the dials are in the home position but I have just bought a Celestron SkySync GPS Unit for it and that should be of help. :)

i found the cg5 gt mount to be better at setting up than the heq5 mount i have now, and the software in the handset better too, apart from the noise of the mount when slewing fast i would have kept it.

is it a second hand unit, maybe setting it back to factory settings might help

The alignment on the nexstar is painless once you've done it once or twice. I've even spent whole evenings being lazy and using only solar system align. Kept Jupiter in the shot accurately enough with the odd tiny manual adjustment here and there to keep it dead centered.

Think I need to check the ground where I have my CG-5 GT mount and make sure the mount is level, Is it true that when you find Polaris in the whole where the polarscope would go that polaris has to be positioned to the left a little rather than the centre through the CG-5 GT mount. I have the peg on the mount facing towards NORTH and the small dials (ARROWS) facing each other too but I am using the Celestron SkySync GPS as well and used it for the first time the other night but briefly due to it raining but still had to enter the time as the GPS is suppose to enter time and long/lat for you. :)

I understand your frustration with the CG5, I felt it for the first few months I owned it. But I have to be honest, once I learned through trial and error, I actually enjoy setting the scope up each time. It has become part of the experience for me. I enjoy aligning stars, I actually observe numerous different stars just from the setup process. I may be in a minority here, but I enjoy it.

Using an EQ mount takes time to learn. There is a learning curve to it. But like many have already stated, once you learn how the mount works you can set it up in a reasonable time. I would say be patient and keep at it.

Also, I dont use a polarscope with my CG5, and I can push over 5 minute guided exposures without drift aligning. I center Polaris through the hole where the polarscope should be, run a two star alignment, and then use All Star Polar Alignment. I would recommend checking into this before you sell your mount. Good luck:)

Hi there - I find the CG5-GT OK now I am used to it. In fact, I find it easier to set up than the alt-az go-tos. Don't know why, but now I have got the hang of it, the CG5 seems fine. It's very accurate too, especially for visual work. Ed

I do find the SE mount easy to use although, like many, I wish it had an internal battery so I didn't have to tell it the time every time I set up. It's reasonably solid, even with the 8" OTA, and the GOTO accuracy has (as Bern at Modern Astronomy told me it would) enabled me to see all sorts from my light-polluted London garden that I'd never have found by starhopping. The handset cotrols are not exactly intuitive but you'll get used to them quickly enough - certainly more obvious than a skysensor 3!

It's been good for solar system imaging as well, and it's quite portable. Having said that, it does depend on the OTA being well-balanced and it lacks the steadiness of my Vixen mount which sits atop a really heavy wooden tripod (home made).

I do find the SE mount easy to use although, like many, I wish it had an internal battery so I didn't have to tell it the time every time I set up.

It does have internal batteries, 8xAAs, but they haven't thought about using them to keep the clock running.

It does have internal batteries, 8xAAs, but they haven't thought about using them to keep the clock running.

This is the biggest fault of the setup. The star align proceedure doesnt look difficult though so it should only take a couple of mins to setup every time.

Hopefully my 8se will be here tomorrow.

Can you use a Skywatcher 7AH Powertank for the CELESTRON SE 6/8 MOUNT instead of batteries. I am considering the SKYWATCHER MERLIN MULTIFUNCTIONAL MOUNT which is suppose to be a good ALT/AZ mount but only wanna second mount for the times you wanna GRAB AND GO. Anyone used this mount and as I am using a Skywatcher 127 Mak OTA it should be well suited. :)

@ Luke Skywatcher, Have you ordered the Celestron 8SE and how much does that cost and where is the cheapest price for this. I like the the look of the Celestron Nexstar 4 to 8 SE range of Telescopes but doubt I could afford a 8SE but if I was to sell my CG-5 GT mount and 127 Mak 0TA then that would also help to put funds towards one of these scopes but think maybe more like a 6SE. :)

Matt. I live in Ireland so i have ordered it from the Celestron dealer here in Dublin. I didnt get much change out of 2K (it cost 1750 euro to be exact.........but i get a free 7ah powertank included).

FLO sell them for about £1100.

You can import them from America also. They sell there for $1000. But then you have to add shipping etc. So not saving much if anything.

I went for the 8se because i already have a 5" Dob and i didnt think a jump in aperture of 1" with the 6se was worth the money.

I was originally going to buy a Vixen VMC200L and a Porta II mount. It costs the same but is manual. Also an email i got from one company didnt give me much confidence in the setup because they said it would work "reasonably well".

So thats when i decided on the 8se.

I would love the 8SE and I have a Skywatcher 127 Mak and sooner or later wanna bigger scope which is compact and portable one but I see myself getting a Nexstar 6SE but would there be much between a 6SE and a 8SE apart from a 2 extra inches but I live only 25mins away from the FLO warehouse which is in Exeter in Devon and I live in Torquay. There nice scopes and compact and portable and ideal for moon and planetary work. :)

Will keep my CG-5 GT MOUNT but will order a Celestron 6" XLT soon for the mount and I am sure the 6" will outshine the Skywatcher 5" Mak if its only an extra inch as it has the starbright coatings I heard:cool::)

8SE sound like a cracking scope, only a shame they're so expensive here compare to over the pond :)

I'm in a wheelchair so i am VERY limited to the scopes i can own and use. The 8se is the biggest aperture on the market (size and weight) that i can handle.

Thats why i went for it.

In my wildest dreams i never thought i could/would ever own an 8" scope.

I thought the Skywatcher Heritage 130P was the biggest i could ever own.

8SE sound like a cracking scope, only a shame they're so expensive here compare to over the pond :)

They aint cheap, but i did my sums and arrived at the conclusion that the 8se is about the biggest aperture/most portable scope i can ever use so i went for it.

Also i am excited about the Go-To. Never tried that before.

Archived