Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 350D issues

stargazerlily

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a second hand Canon 350D body for astro-photography use. Are there any issues or pitfalls with this type of camera? I read recently that the earlier models had a problem with 'back focus'. Does this ring any bells with any one? I guess this shouldn't be a problem if I'm justing using a body.

Alternatively, should I save my pennies and buy a 1000D body instead?

Cheers

Pete

I have both and if possible would save up for the 1000D...

I stopped using the 350D within a few days of modding the 1000D... it has much lower noise , USB 2.0 and Bulb over USB (the 350D will need a seperate shutter release cable for bulb exposures) and APT/Backyard EOS support..

The 350D is still a capable astro cam (especially when modified) but really need to consider filter replacement if you want to achieve infinity focus with camera lenses ..

Peter...

I've got a 1000D and my friend had the 350 - he was of the opinion that my unmodded 1000D was picking up as much Ha as his modded 350, and less amp glow as well. Also, I gather that with the 350, drivers just don't exist for Windows 7 support. My recommendation would therefore have to be save and get a 1000D.

I think the back focus issue you mention is probably the common problem of DSLRs in general when attached to newtonian telescopes not being able to achieve focus through lack of inward travel of the focusser. I've solved it by fitting a low profile focusser.

Regards

John

Save for the 1000D for live view. I bought the 300D originally and it was OK focusing but took a while to get focus spot on, whereas achieving focus with live view and bahtinov mask is a breeze.

As Sparrow says, the back focus issue can generally be resolved by the use of a low-profile focuser. However, I have an old 200P (blue model) and I recall that when fitted with a coma corrector (which you will need to avoid star distortion at the edge of the field) the camera was closer to the focusser than with the basic adaptor, so it had no problem getting to focus.

Also worth remembering that newer SW Newts have resolved the back focus issues by a better focuser design ;) If your newt is 12 months old or less, it's almost certainly got the newer design.

Thanks for this. I do have a new SW Newt ... a SW 200p Black Diamond tube that arrived a couple of weeks ago.

I shall save my all pennies ... beer tokens ... milk bottle tops and go for a 1000D (as I'm also upgrading my computer to a W7 model soon).

Many thanks

Pete

Thanks for this. I do have a new SW Newt ... a SW 200p Black Diamond tube that arrived a couple of weeks ago.

I shall save my all pennies ... beer tokens ... milk bottle tops and go for a 1000D (as I'm also upgrading my computer to a W7 model soon).

Many thanks

Pete

Nice ;) Did you see the link to the S/H 1000D I posted up there?

My personal feelings are if you are thinking of doing any mods to it, you don't want to do it on a new camera and invalidate the warranty ;)

Oh ... very, very nice photos. That is something I would like to be able to do ... one day.

Kh3ldar - many thanks, yes, I did see the advert. Been trawling the web for 1000Ds. I'm toying with the idea of getting a brand new 1000D plus lens for £288 or a body only for £235 ... or a 2nd hand one for ca £200 off flee-bay. Decisions ...

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

The 1000D isn't too bad to mod yourself... provide your methodical and follow one of the excellent online guides and/or video tutorials

Heres a a few links so you can see whats involved...

Canon Digital Rebel XSi (450D), XS (1000D), T1i (500D) , T2i (550D), T3 (1100D) Modification Instructions - Removal of IR Cut Filter for Astrophotography & Infrared Imaging - by Gary Honis

and the video...

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Peter...

Archived