Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using the Skywatcher SynScan handset

I'm probably being dim here, but is there a quick way to navigate through the various options on these handsets?

For example, if I want to send the scope to a known star, lets say Castor, I'm currently scrolling through all the stars that begin with the letter A and then B, one at a time....is there a shortcut that lets me jump to known stars that begin with the letter C?

Thanks

Chris

If there is, I can't find it. Synscan is arguably the most primative HC software among the big three. This is one of the reasons many go to PC direct and/or EGMOD - much more sophisticated interface.

BTW have you tried the PAE function? I find it greatly enhances pointing accuracy - centering stars in a 12mm crosshair ep.

Regards, Gary

Thanks Gary,

Have read about the PAE function, but not used it - I observe from a couple of sites, and so have to change the lat / long each time.

Think PAE works per session and only between sessions if you keep the mount in the same place?

Cheers

Chris

Up to 83 PAE syncs can be entered. These are available as long as the mount is parked before shutdown and, of course, has not been moved. There is another Utility " Clear PAE data". I'm not sure if PAEs are removed automatically but I think not.

Spikey, That works, sort of, for the object catalogs where the IDs are numeric. Does,t work for named objects or stars etc.

Regards, Gary

• 2 years later...

does any body know on what setting with the synscan hand set you can change from just a few relevant stars to the full list of stars for doing a 2 star alignment,at the moment I can only get less than half of the full list please see attachment with the ones marked that I can get.

stars.bmp

The PAE data is cleared every time you do a new star alignment; it will only be saved between observing sessions if you park the scope before shutting down; you need to make sure you are using a very accurate clock when setting up the time next time you boot the handset, and use the same device preferably as you used the first time... I suspect it will be easier just to do a new alignment and PAE for a new observing session unless you have a very stable and rigid set up.

I've never found an easier way to search the hand set for named stars; that was one of my suggestions on the 'how could it be improved' thread.

James

I think the synscan handset is very easy to use and it does most of the things I want it to do, but my use is very simplistic, I don't do any fancy imaging (playing still with planetary imaging). There are aspects which aren't clear at first use, but you soon get the hang of it.

It's fine.

James

Synscan is very easy to use (if a bit bug prone at times). scrolling through a whole list can be a bit of a pain at times but in the context of the life of the solar system it's not too long!!! ;)

Archived