Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Phillips SPC880 question

Russe

I ordered the 880 yesterday to do some planetary imaging with my mak127.

It's not here yet, but I have a question that keeps me awake at night:

If I remove the camera's lens to connect the adaptor to the webcam, how do I still have an optical system that works, I mean without an eyepiece??

What sort of magnification can I expect?

Mag=f tel/ f eyepiece?

It's effective focal length that gives the image size with cameras, not "magnification" as you normally think about it with visual observing.

The longer the focal length, the larger the plate scale...

Check out CCDCalc - it shows the various CCD chip sizes v's focal length v's typical objects....

In the sense - don't bother to try getting a pic?

No - give it a go.

Some CMOS sensors give excellent results... Just look at some of the great pictures of DSOs taken with modern DSLRs, many of which have CMOS sensors...

I've taken apart one of my old webcams, only to discover that it contains a CMOS sensor. Anyone ever tried taking pics with that? I mean, astrophotography wise?

I have used both the Meade LPI (CMOS sensor) & the SPC880(CCD). The CCD is a bit better, but there is not a lot in it.

The Microsoft LifeCam HD Cinema makes a good imaging webcam (with lens removed, at prime focus) with 1280x800 resolution and 3 micron pixel size and that has a CMOS sensor. CCDs tend to be more sensitive but CMOS sensors are well usable.

That was what I meant. If you have CMOS webcam(s) try it/them, you might be pleasantly surprised :)

I know the second one I ordered from Morgans took a lot longer than first I think they ran short of the IR filter.

As far as CMOS/ccd I understand the main point isn't so much in quality ( although a more experienced user will recognised a deal of difference) but more that you can obtain more CMOS for your hard earned than ccd so worth a shot with the CMOS as others have suggested

Archived