Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red Light

Dude

Not sure where to post this but I'm looking for a Red Light for my shed - any ideas where I can get such a thing? Is it as simple as buying a red bulb from B&Q or does it have to be a special one?

A 100W light will do wonders for your dark adaptation, red or otherwise.

I prefer to use ordinary white lights with a red filter (red cellophane or a stage lighting gel). Alternatively use red LEDs. Really depends what sort of dark adaptation you're hoping to achieve. When it's really dark and the eye is fully adapted, something that looks red under ordinary conditions can appear more like orange-white, and too bright.

Main thing, though, is that the light should be as dim as possible, if your aim is to let the eye adapt. Even a 15W bulb might be too bright.

I just got a pack of 2 firebulbs in that bargin shop for homes lol :) I just popped it in a lamp they work good and the pack was only 50p :) but they are 60w so it turns the room into a photo dark room lol but I have mine for the room reflecting behind me on the balcony so it's not to bright it may be a bit bright for inside a shed

A 100W light will do wonders for your dark adaptation, red or otherwise.

I prefer to use ordinary white lights with a red filter (red cellophane or a stage lighting gel). Alternatively use red LEDs. Really depends what sort of dark adaptation you're hoping to achieve. When it's really dark and the eye is fully adapted, something that looks red under ordinary conditions can appear more like orange-white, and too bright.

Main thing, though, is that the light should be as dim as possible, if your aim is to let the eye adapt. Even a 15W bulb might be too bright.

The 100w is what the lamps are rated at, not what is suggested to use.

I use them with 15w lamps on dimmers.

If you buy 'fireglow' bulbs you should check that they really are that. Some offered for sale are poorly laquered normal bulbs. After a short period the laquer cracks and you have white light shining through the cracks.

I have a bulkhead light with a red bulb in it but I also painted the reflector with heat resistant red paint.

The other issue is dimming - which will become more of a problem as traditional bulbs are phased out. I didn't pay enough attention when the 60W disappeared, are 40W to go next?

These are a very good price IMO.

As for the phasing out of GLS bulbs, yes bad move IMO (and one of my hobby-horses! Nuff said!). But you can use halogen bulbs with an adapter I believe - they can be dimmed and I've not heard of them being phased out. Renewed the light fittings in our lounge a couple of years back, and they use G9 halogen bulbs (60w) and run off dimmers.

I'm now thinking in terms of a string of red LEDs arranged behind something so as to avoid looking straight at the lights. Any sort of white light will do as long as it can be dimmed.

Having got my obsy waterproof and draughtproof, I now need to think about lighting - and powering the mount and a computer or two etc. I'll probably just run an extension lead for now. I might do the mains wiring - lights, sockets etc and the RCD but just plug it into the extension lead. I have the armoured cable but have yet to did a trench to put it in.

Probably best to start with an extension as you can guarantee that if you hard wire it after a bit of use plugs will be in the wrong places LOL
I'm sure you're right there. Yes I think that's what I'll do.

Archived