NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Clear Night in AGES!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dew 2 - 0 Scopes. My dew shields did not cut the mustard, but it has been very damp here the last few days.

managed to get a couple of hours out though & got myself my first view of the Andromeda Galaxy :)

I've been looking for weeks & weeks and finally found it.

It's almost vertical from my garden looks like a smudge though :)

Cleared up again but seeing is a bit wobbly. Some cloud has appeared in the S.E. and is covering the lower half of Orion....so far it's not got any higher, which is good as I'm shooting M1 at the moment.

Rob

Cleared up again but seeing is a bit wobbly. Some cloud has appeared in the S.E. and is covering the lower half of Orion....so far it's not got any higher, which is good as I'm shooting M1 at the moment.

Rob

I got onto M1 tonight, using 32mm in my 200p. It was very dim and quite small (maybe same size as M57 Ring Nebula) - not as impressive as other Nebulas... How does it come up in pics?

I got onto M1 tonight, using 32mm in my 200p. It was very dim and quite small (maybe same size as M57 Ring Nebula) - not as impressive as other Nebulas... How does it come up in pics?

It's a good target for imaging, very bright in Ha, and quite different in OIII and SII, so a good narrowband target. I bagged a lot of Ha a few nights ago, and am now shooting OIII and SII.

I saw it through a 20 inch dob from a very dark site a while back, and in a scope that size it was quite impressive, but in my 12 inch dob from home it's not great.

Rob

It's a good target for imaging, very bright in Ha, and quite different in OIII and SII, so a good narrowband target. I bagged a lot of Ha a few nights ago, and am now shooting OIII and SII.

I saw it through a 20 inch dob from a very dark site a while back, and in a scope that size it was quite impressive, but in my 12 inch dob from home it's not great.

Rob

That's nice to know. I found M1 last night for the first time. Very faint - if I hadn't been looking for it I would not have seen it!

I had a very cold but clear two hours, from 10pm to midnight.

Managed M1, M35, 36, 37 and 38 all for the first time. I kept returning to Jupiter through the evening just because!!

By the time Orion popped up above the garage it was getting late so I'll save that for another time.

A good night with plenty of pretty clusters.

Archived