Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Member...Raw Beginner Notts!

jasonbirder

Just registered so wanted to say hi!

Had a passing interest in the Night Sky for many years and often looked at things like Jupiter/Pleiades/M31 with binoculars...

Looking at diving in and taking it more seriously as a hobby.

Buying my first scope...going for a Sky Master 200P initially on a Dobsonian Mount (getting the most tube for my money!)

Can then look at adding an EQ5 mount after christmas!

Comes with a 10mm and a 25mm eyepieces - so I thought my first purchases should be...a Dew Cap, a Telrad Finder and a Barlow Lens...

Anyway...let me know how that sounds and if I'm missing any "must haves"

Based in Notts...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jasonbirder and welcome to the lounge! How about a good star chart for locating many nice DSOs ? The Tiron atlas is my favorite, though you can get similar info on the web and print out areas for outside use.

Have fun observing and participating in the SGL. Wishing you many clear, dark skies. Mr Q

Hi Jasonbirder,

Warm welcome to SGL. Great choice of scope, save some pennies to replace those std eypieces!. For c£40 ea try some BST explorers. Also notice you are in notts, check out East Midlands Stargazers in the community pages, we are a friendly lot!!

Cheers

welcome to the forum Jason,

nice choice of scope, being a dob a dew shield it not the most important item, i`d download Stellarium which is free, put in your location and it`ll show whats in the night sky and give you some ideas of where you should be looking for objects.

the telrads are nice to use.

we also have a little club in the notts area called EAST MIDLANDS STARGAZERS, click on the link in my signature at the bottom to find out more about us.

Hi Jason and welcome to SGL,as you say a telrad is a great tool for your new scope and will be a god send,and the 200p well let you see loads ,the down side is this time of year every buys scopes and the clouds will be with us for months,some headache tablets ,cold weather gear ,and prepare your self for many WOW moments

Archived