Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ-5 Counterweight - what weight for Evostar 80 ED

drewk1

Hi

I've aquired a secondhand EQ-5 mouint while in excellent condition the counterweight is missing.

I have the facilities to machine a replacement but need to know what weight it needs to be to balance a Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED?

This will have a Canon 40D attached at some time in the future so I need to accomodate for this.

Thanks

The bigger weights on the EQ6 tend to be 5kg, so I'd hazard a guess that the smaller ones on EQ5 would be 2.5kg. If you have the facilities I'd run off a coulpe of 2.5kg pieces and see if you can get a good balance with them. You can allways adjust by moving the weight's up/down the bar for fine tuning or make another one if not enough :)

As Bizibilder says 15cm diameter and 4cm thick.

Find a bar that diameter and chop a disc off. Quick file to smooth it off, drill and thread a hole for the tightening screw and away you go. Maybe paint it.

Centre hole is about 18mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived