Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evostar 100 or 120 pro ED.........

If you can get a 120ED it's worth having in my view. The additional aperture enables it to crack 200x on nights of good seeing which really helps to make the planets interesting.

I have owned an ED100 and I've also got a Vixen ED102SS as well but that's more of a grab and go scope, not that the ED120 is that heavy really.

PS: The ED120 cools down really fast - it's usable almost straight from the house up to 150x and gets progressively crisper over the next 30 mins. Your mak is a great scope but they do need a while to fully cool if bought from a house out to a cool night.

I have a 120ED and have looked through it only a couple of times - The rest of the time it's hooked up to a camera! I do like it and I'm glad that I have it.

Interested to hear how I can get the best out of it visually for planets. I have a 17mm and 8mm Hyperion - They leave me a little cold for looking at planets as it's always so small.

Interested to hear how I can get the best out of it visually for planets. I have a 17mm and 8mm Hyperion - They leave me a little cold for looking at planets as it's always so small.

I find 6mm (150x) and 5mm (180x) focal length eyepieces great for planetary viewing with my ED120. On a good night 4mm (225x) is worth using too.

You know which I'd go for Jules :)

I don't plan on ever letting the C100ED go as I now have a refractor that doesn't suffer false colour but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss my EVO 120 Achromat. A small amount of aperture seems to go a long way in refractors and I do miss that 20mm so if a 120ED ever came up at the right price I'd jump on it.

No contest really :-)

A 4 inch Achro vs a 5 inch ED refractor the ED wins hands down.

Won't the evostar be pretty similar to your Tal 100RS?

My dream scope (realistically) is the Equinox 120mm.

Probably more compact than my Vixen 102mm with it's oversized OTA and f/10 focal ratio.

You know which I'd go for Jules :)

I don't plan on ever letting the C100ED go as I now have a refractor that doesn't suffer false colour but I'd be lying if I said I don't miss my EVO 120 Achromat. A small amount of aperture seems to go a long way in refractors and I do miss that 20mm so if a 120ED ever came up at the right price I'd jump on it.

You will need to be quick if a 5" apo comes up, you know what im like for "listed, 8 seconds later sale pending":evil6::)

No contest really :-)

A 4 inch Achro vs a 5 inch ED refractor the ED wins hands down.

Won't the evostar be pretty similar to your Tal 100RS?

My dream scope (realistically) is the Equinox 120mm.

Probably more compact than my Vixen 102mm with it's oversized OTA and f/10 focal ratio.

Not looking at normal evostar, but the ED pro of each size:D

Will be able to let you know how they compare next week. The price difference is not trivial though.

By the way, I've had two Tals and two 100EDs (Celestron and SW) and whilst both Tals were optically as good as I've seen (in an achromat), I'd still take the 100ED for night time use every time.

Will be able to let you know how they compare next week. The price difference is not trivial though.

By the way, I've had two Tals and two 100EDs (Celestron and SW) and whilst both Tals were optically as good as I've seen (in an achromat), I'd still take the 100ED for night time use every time.

Good luck with the 120, though coming from ant it will be nothing short of superb

i had the chance to compare the tal100 to the evo102 achro....the tal beat it hands down, the only downside to maybe finding a 120ED is the sad fact that the tal will have to go, and i do wonder if they will ever be coming into this country again

well looksw like i have decided, i now have wanted adds for a used scruffy optically good 120mm ED evostar, this means my beloved Tal 100rs and the ST150 will end up for sale, that is if i can bring myself to part with the Tal:eek:, if i dont find an evo then i will just keep these scope

Archived