Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Telescope to buy around the £120ish mark

If i remeber rightly the Celestron 114 has a spherical mirror? you dont want that. Id have to recomment the heritage 130p , the dobsonian mount is far better suited to little ones, as is the red dot sight (or at least that one is effective -i use one) an EQ mount is not ideal for what you want to be honest.

I agree. The Heritage has a parabolic mirror which gathers light and concentrates it to the centre. Thus giving a brighter image.

Also EQ mounts can be tricky to use for a beginner. The simple Dob (Alt=Az) mount is so easier and even your kids will be able to point it at any area of sky and observe.

Above ALL else.........the Heritage is on budget, and really is a cracking scope. It will allow you to observe the Moon, major planets, galaxies,nebulae etc.

It has the exact same optics as the SkyWatcher Explorer 130P (which is highly favoured by most) as a starter scope. The only difference is the Heritage is a Dob while the Explorer comes on an EQ mount.

A couple of yrs ago when i bought my Heritage it was an unknown and probably seen by most as a bit of a toy scope. Since then i have seen attitudes change and as you can see from the number of people saying buy the Heritage.................it has become a scope that is held in some regard even by seasoned observers (as the 130P Explorer is).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is also added benifits for the heritage 130p, easy to store, easy to setup, easy to transport, easy to move, its worth noting though that you will need a table to set it up on though.

I have had an EQ mount in the past and for visual use i found it just horrible to use. For imaging they are needed, but for visual they are just a pain.

its worth noting though that you will need a table to set it up on though.

Not strictly true.

You only need to set it up on a table if you want to observe through it while standing upright.

I am a disabled person in a wheelchair and i am very happy/comfortable to use it at all times while in a seated position.

My wheelchair seat is the same height as the standard kitchen chair and ik have not encounted any issues yet.

I am not completely confined to a wheelchair. I can and do use a Stanley step stool often while observing.

So basically if i can use the Heritage from a seated position..............anyone can. It honestly does not need to be set on a table.

In the Summer you can sit on the ground and still use it.

Even better:) i always imagined it would be to unstable resting on your legs but i guess when held closer to your body it would be quite well supported.

Im seriously considering one myself now for a second scope lol:)

I've never observed through it while it was on my lap. That just wouldnt work.

Not sure what i said to give the impression that i observe through it while it is resting on my lap.

Go for the 130, and get it from FLO....S&S have variable reviews...and I'm being nice to them ;)....don't let the barlow tempt you, you won't use it most of the time anyway, especially a cheap one as all it will do is give you a terrible view!!

Rob

Go for the 130, and get it from FLO....S&S have variable reviews...and I'm being nice to them ;)....don't let the barlow tempt you, you won't use it most of the time anyway, especially a cheap one as all it will do is give you a terrible view!!

Rob

Go with the FLO.Great service (ALWAYS) and any after sales questions you have they are happy to answer HERE on SGL forum.

Great scope...........barlow is not worth a second thought, but you wont need it.

Sorry im probably misreading things, i noticed you mention you have no problems using it from a seated view and a table isnt needed, so i just assumed resting on your lap was the only option, unless your just holding it but i cant see that working..sorry its late.

Sorry im probably misreading things, i noticed you mention you have no problems using it from a seated view and a table isnt needed, so i just assumed resting on your lap was the only option, unless your just holding it but i cant see that working..sorry its late.

The Heritage is sold as a table top scope. All i am saying is that it is more versitile than that. You can easily set it on the ground and observe from a seated position.

Honestly id advise going with FLO , £135, im not sure on postage but it wont be much if anything. The service is second to none, scopes and skys can be fine..but they can also be problematic at times also.

The barlow will only be worth a few quid, so to be honest you are better of with FLOs service.

Whilst FLO are great, sometimes it is worth paying a few quid more for the simple fact that you have someone to go and talk to face to face. When you are starting out this can be invaluable. I thing we too often rush to save a fiver and forget about the added value of personal sales.

Just my tuppence worth...hope I don't offend Steve, James et al....as they really are great guys too!

Michael

FLO are selling it at £162 Vat included. Plus they have a shipping from £5-£10.

Online Scopesnskies are doing it for £144, FREE P&P with FREE Barlow!

...So I don't understand why so many are touting for FLO?

Because FLO are reliable, knowledgeable and give great after sales service. S&S do not have that reputation, far from it unfortunately.

FLO are selling it at £162 Vat included. Plus they have a shipping from £5-£10.

Online Scopesnskies are doing it for £144, FREE P&P with FREE Barlow!

...So I don't understand why so many are touting for FLO?

Where are you located?

If you're close to any astronomy retailer, you should call them and see whether you can come in and get it. While there the shop owner should be able to show you how to set it up and so on.

I'm close to Rother Valley Optics so I buy from them, although I did use FLO for mail order some accessories, and they gave excellent service too.

-- Perry Ismangil

I may as well throw in my 2 Pence worth for the 130p. Recently purchased one from flo. Got a 2x Barlow with it for £20 I think, and a Cheshire collimator.

The Barlow is nice to have to try to increase the size of Jupiter, which is a wonderful sight. Easy to use, compact and looks great!

I read you should store it with the primary mirror upright to avoid dust from settling on it.

I stand corrected Heathen! I misread and thought the VAT was on top of the price.

So because of that, their price is superb and if they are reliable then that is also superb!

Ismangil has also suggested a quality idea. I have looked into it and Bristol Cameras are 50 minute drive so I will dive into their shop and check up on a few things!

Thanks everyone! ;)

I'm not sure the place you purchase from is totally paramount. Good after sales service is valuable but I have no experience of the vendors stated above. The most important thing is that you choose the right scope to get you started. To be fair i've read nothing but good things about FLO but the choice is yours as to where you go. It seems that in general the 130p is coming out on top right now. Good luck in you choice. Clear sky and happy viewing! ;)

Just one thing, Merton, please don't look at a 'scope and use valuable assistant 'time and then buy at another, cheaper outlet. The display and staff costs money and unless you find them offensive, be willing to reward their help with a sale.

This also applies to FLO, who are friendly, offer plenty of advice, will, by priior arrangement, let you see and try out an instock 'scope. The service is important.

If you're Bristol way then try Ace Astro over at Yate. Ask for Mike.

We got a cracking deal on our scope and they've really helped us along our journey when we were starting out.

I have bought a few eyepieces from them in the past as they are not too far away form me. They were very helpful and I would have no hesitation buying from them again.

Just done some more investigating and found this review on YouTube for the Heritage 130P:-

Just been watching the video. That truly is a grab and go scope. It's a lot of scope in such a small package I am amazed. Ideal for familys and it would sit solidly on my cast iron garden table! But I might get one just to take with me on my hols ;)

Archived