NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What Telescope to buy around the £120ish mark

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A barlow lens goes between the scope and the eyepiece and multiplies the magnification that a given eyepiece produces by a factor, usually x2. As this introduces two more pieces of glass into the optical train these need to be of good quality, ie: the lenses need to be figured and polished accurately, have quality coatings on and mounted in a tube that has decent baffling to control light scatter. £7.99 just does not buy good quality optics. The overall performance of the scope will be as good as the weakest link in the chain.

The lowest cost decently performing barlow lens is generally held to be the TAL 2x barlow which costs £35.00.

I have the 114 I like it I can see the moon very clear and also jupiter (still looking for other things as I have only just started) when my mum bought it (many moons ago) it was over triple the price its at now

I know a lot don't like it and noticed a lot say it moves a lot, I don't get this problem but I did at first I just went through all the nuts and bolts tightened it up and now it is still ;) the stand is flimsy though I have put tape on mine 2 make it stronger lol :)

heres a pic of the moon from my 114 (novice pic as I just held cam to lense lol no holder or anything so it aint perfect)

post-30542-133877694843_thumb.jpg

that is with the h20 lense the one you get with it I have not taken a photo of the other lenses yet but you get closer and it is still clear I see jupiter's colours when looking at him :)

no not needed, its nice, but not essential. Or use the appeture stop if your telescope has one (i dont think the heritage does)

Your best option is to buy the telescope and use it for a little while, this way you will realize what you need as you go along. If you buy a load of stuff at the start its very likely some will just not get used.

If you can squeeze up to £148, you can get a brand new Celestron Astromaster 130EQ-MD.

I have just purchased one of these and seems to be pretty good for the price, the normal retail price is £179.99, but there is a company on Amazon selling it for the price above. I had no problems dealing with them and it arrived within a week and in pristine condition.

• 1 month later...

Hello all again and Happy New Year.

After much fuss with my supplier I am now an owner of the Heritage 130!

Please is there any advice out there that can help me get the TS up and ready to use please?

Also any excellent tips on how to store it whilst not in use please?

After much fuss with my supplier I am now an owner of the Heritage 130!

Please is there any advice out there that can help me get the TS up and ready to use please?

Also any excellent tips on how to store it whilst not in use please?

I got the same earlier this week Merton - it's very easy to setup.

Just follow the instructions with it and you'll be up and running easily within 30 mins. I would advise going for the easy targets 1st - Moon & Jupiter.

Storage-wise, I keep mine in the heritage box it came in stored in my garage. The temp is colder than the house which means less/no cooling time needed when setting up.

Im still figuring out how to keep the eye pieces at the moment, they seem to dew up less when kept warm, not so easy when using them all though.

To see stuff use the 25mm piece, get whatever it is you want to look at centered and then go to the 10mm. The mount is tricky to get used to at the start (movement) but you'll get used to it. Be prepared for how bright the moon is!!!

Moon filters are useful but not needed. You will not damage your eyes by looking at a full moon. Although i have been recently looking at the full moon with my new 8" SCT and it is a LOT bigger and brighter then the views i am used to so i do use a moon filter because i find without it i am "blinded" in my observing eye for a few minutes and have to wait to try look at anything else (not like there is much else to observe on a full moon night).

I got the same earlier this week Merton - it's very easy to setup.

Just follow the instructions with it and you'll be up and running easily within 30 mins. I would advise going for the easy targets 1st - Moon & Jupiter.

Storage-wise, I keep mine in the heritage box it came in stored in my garage. The temp is colder than the house which means less/no cooling time needed when setting up.

Im still figuring out how to keep the eye pieces at the moment, they seem to dew up less when kept warm, not so easy when using them all though.

To see stuff use the 25mm piece, get whatever it is you want to look at centered and then go to the 10mm. The mount is tricky to get used to at the start (movement) but you'll get used to it. Be prepared for how bright the moon is!!!

The Heritage is a great scope. I also store mine in its original box in the garage.

Take it out of the box and extend the truss arms and you are ready to go. Its that simple.

Archived