NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finally thinking of modding EOS1000D - anyone had it done

Sparrow

I know plenty of people have had their cameras modded. What I'd really like to see is a side by side comparison of images taken with a Canon 1000D before and after it's been modded - preferably of the same target. There's plenty of comments about the improved Ha signal but I'd really like to see how much and is it worth the expense (I'm too cowardly to do it myslef so would be sending it to Astronomiser).

I feel I've just about got everything I can out of the camera in an unmodded state and the next affordable step forward is to get it modded. I'd really like to go down the narrowband route with a CCD but it's just too pricey for me.

BTW - couldn't decide whether I should be posting this in the imaging forum or this one - hope I made the right choice:)

Quite impressive graphs and spectra Merlin, are the spectra with the first filter removed and then the second removed respectively ?

I can feel the jewellers screwdrivers coming out of the box soon !

Sparrow I've been meaning to do this mod for some time - there are some very good youtube vids taking it step by step.

The spectra are - unmodded Canon 350D on top and after a "full spectrum" mod at the bottom.

In the newer Canon's (=/>450D) there are two built in filters....a "normal" mod only removes the #2 filter and gives you the response curve for the remaining #1 filter.

You can see it gives a far better efficiency at Ha and also provides UV-IR cut off.

(For spectroscopy we want to record (as per the "full spectrum" spectrum above)-wavelengths down to 380nm and well out into the NIR - this means removing the #1 filter as well!! - Astronomiser did this "bare" sensor mod for me...)

HTH

Thanks Merlin - that does help. I gather that a single filter removal is recommended by Astronomiser on the dual filter models such as the 1000D. One advantage of this is that it leaves the sensor protected.

Spikey - I will have a look at the youtube vids - it's not so much that I'm scared of doing it - I really do have chunky fingers so delicate work is not easy for me. Obviously I'd love to save having to spend £150, but I don't want to risk writing off the camera.

Regards

John

Thanks Merlin - I gather that the 2nd filter removal is of more benefit if you're in to Spectroscopy. I'm just in to imaging so I think the one filter removal will be sufficient. I understand this allows the valuable Ha wavelength through which is what I need.

I've got the links for the youtube video and website with the mod instructions by Gary Honis and I'll have a good read tomorrow to see what I think. In case anyone searches and navigates to this thread I'll put the links up for them:-

Youtube walkthrough

Step by Step instructions Canon Digital Rebel XSi (450D), XS (1000D), T1i (500D) , T2i (550D), T3 (1100D) Modification Instructions - Removal of IR Cut Filter for Astrophotography & Infrared Imaging - by Gary Honis

I've got the links for the youtube video and website with the mod instructions by Gary Honis and I'll have a good read tomorrow to see what I think. In case anyone searches and navigates to this thread I'll put the links up for them:-

Youtube walkthrough

Step by Step instructions Canon Digital Rebel XSi (450D), XS (1000D), T1i (500D) , T2i (550D), T3 (1100D) Modification Instructions - Removal of IR Cut Filter for Astrophotography & Infrared Imaging - by Gary Honis

Thanks for those links :) This is something I shall be doing later. (I need to get the camera first ;)).

Just an update. After reading the instructions for modding all morning I decided I could do it despite my chubby fingers. I decided to sdo the single filter mod as recommended by Astronomiser, rather than the full spetrum mod.

Cleared and cleaning the kitchen table at about 4pm, got everything together I needed, and was finished by about 7pm. Very nervous moment switching it on afterwards but was very relieved that it worked absolutely fine and have taken a few indoor test photos - suprisingly, despite what they say, the auto focus DOES seem to work fine and the images are definateyl showing more sensitivity in the red spectrum

EXCELLENT - all I need now is clear skies. I plan to return to some of last year's targets now so I can post comparison images on here to show before and after shots.

My grateful thanks to Gary Honis for his comprehensive and detailed instructions on his website, without which, I couldn;t have done it.

Mick,

Modding the camera gives a dramatic increase in the red sensitivity - very handy when imaging deep sky nebulae.

The pink "cast", for normal family shots can be reduced by either preparing a CWB (see camera manual) or adding a correcting clip in filter.

HTH

Thanks Mick but I don't need to worry about that - I have a second EOS1000D for normal photgraphy so the one I've modded is purely for astro work and can stay on the scope. Very useful when imaging the same target on succesive nights as I can leave it set up and undisturbed.;)

Glad all went well. I did mine a few weeks ago following Garys instructions too. Now you can get yourself a Ha filter... :)

This was the first thing I pointed it at after doing it.. very rough quick crop process but you get the idea. Think I can put off the CCD for a few months more.. ;)

post-23839-133877693998_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone - must admit I'm feeling pretty chuffed about it.;)

The money I've saved doing it myself means I can finally get the MPCC I've needed for two years.

Spaced - nice image - looks promising to me if I can expect results like that. The main problem now is deciding what targets with imaging time at a premium. Think I might go for IC63 first - or perhaps a new version of the Horsehead, or what about ............ hehe

Archived