Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Next brian cox bbc programmes

sunshine185

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sir Patrick is the man who got me interested in astronomy but it's time he passed the mantle to Brian Cox as our leading astro guy. Watching The Sky at Night makes me realise how many years have passed since I read my first SPM book. He looks very old and very frail now but remains a legend. Brian Cox has the passion for astro physics - obviously, but as a presenter, he has such an honest, open and compelling communication style. Looking forward to his next Stargazing show.

I like him and feel he does what it says on the tin. Translates pretty difficult (for most people) subjects and concepts into a user friendly way for the masses. I cannot see what's wrong with this at all. He seems genuinely excited, enthusiastic and committed to 'spreading the word' about Astronomy and Physics etc. Anyone doing this no matter what their style is alright in my book.

I like him and feel he does what it says on the tin. Translates pretty difficult (for most people) subjects and concepts into a user friendly way for the masses. I cannot see what's wrong with this at all. He seems genuinely excited, enthusiastic and committed to 'spreading the word' about Astronomy and Physics etc. Anyone doing this no matter what their style is alright in my book.

100% agree.

I think Brian Cox is superb, it's him that prompted me to start learning. :)

Been watching wonders of the solar system on cable tv recently, his passion for the subject really shines through imo, although some of the stuff he mentions goes totally over my head, i still find it wonderfully interesting, and he is from oldham ( did i mention that!)

there's an out take on you tube, one of the "wonders" crew asking if the Moon Landings were real (I think Jokingly) But a very animated response from B.C.

having the same argument in work the other day, why would you want to doubt possibly mans greatest achievement ??

Really like B.C though Sir Brian May would be reat too.

Is it only me that cant stand watching that guy?

Unless of course its the John Culshaw variation.....

...Each to his own, I find his style condescending and self absorbed

It's not only you, Andy, and I couldn't agree more.

Interestingly, this sort of comment has been appearing a lot more lately, perhaps indicating a turning of the tides in favour of (IMO) better presenters. I can't help but notice that a lot of the criticism has followed very soon after "Frozen Planet" came on, reminding people what a really good programme/presenter is like.

Jim Al-Khalili is quite a nice presenter, but he is in danger of being the victim of saturation.

Mind you.......if i see another shot of him standing on a mountain/cliff top staring out into the distance, i might just have to pull all of my hair out.

LOL.

Hehe, spot on. I think your all hypnotized by his over simplified x factor physics.

The guy who did the neutrino show the other day was excellent

Andy

I agree with your sentiment, but I think what irks me about Cox is that so much of his programmes is filled with stuff that the "average" budding astronomer would not see in their lifetime. I don't mean the astronomical objects, but the scenery. The danger, I feel, is from mis-advertising the subject. The mountaintop shot is the much-cited example, but I wonder how many people have been lured into astronomy by his programmes, and the Indiana Jones scientist image of a guy trekking all over the World, only to be disappointed by squinting at a fuzzy little object through a telescope.

Astronomy is a wonderful, magical subject, and really doesn't need fancy scenery and expensive trips around the world to make it more exciting. The things hidden in the sky, for me, outshine any of the natural beauty down here. Best of all, those sights are largely democratic - anybody who can get to a dark site can enjoy the Milky Way. No plane tickets required.

I have noticed that whenever Brian cox is mentioned,it turns into a marmite session.......personally I loathe marmite but think that Brian cox is cool!

Wait til SGL 2012 is on tv. The whole world and its grandmother has an opinion on him.

Also the number of people joining here swells to bursting point. Its always nice to have new blood injected into the place.

Archived