Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Whats the Difference between Astronomy and Trainspotting?

Lets face it, when it boils down to basics, both pastimes are observational, there is also another interesting comparison, astronomers seek out and travel to dark sites, Train Spotters travel to Loco Depots, no difference then really :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They just don't get the point!
I've found that loads of times.Why is it me thats a nerd just because im interested in otherworldly things.Just because other people live in a goldfish bowl and thats their life in all its confinements.They've no idea that earth is a minute speck in the scheme of things and we as humans even less so.Everybody who loves astronomy will have at some point been in awe and will be humbled at the thought of how insignificant we all are in the scheme of things.Personally i think it makes me a better person for knowing that,and puts alot of things into perspective.

What is it with train spotters?

I counted 23 of them today!

(my record is 47)

So you're a train spotter spotter?

I did wonder what the punchline was going to be when I saw the thread title.

I suppose with train spotting you can just go out anytime and spot them. It would be nice to have the chance to see the stars a bit more often - that week in September seems an awfully long time ago now...

As a young teenager I was a train spotter. Despite the hobbie's bad rep, I got to travel around and see most of the UK, most major Towns and Cities.

Although I also spent HOURS AND HOURS stood on Crewe train station.

In my late teenage years, I, as in the film Pvaz points out, went a bit the way of the movie 'Trainspotting' minus the Heroine.

Hmmmm.... trains can come out of a "black hole" when they've been through a tunnel - but red shift tells you nothing about trains and dopler effect not a lot about stars. There's a difference of several thousand squids between the two hobbies (notebook and pencil compared to imaging rig).

Trains come from stars but stars sometimes travel on trains. And Trains can't travel at the speed of light, but the speed of light can be measured using two trains (or even a single tram lol). The universe came from the big bang, trains often make a big bang when they get derailed. And you have to be derailed a bit to do train spotting lol......... shal I go on.....? hehe :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived