Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the Difference between Astronomy and Trainspotting?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great question and as a total newbie, reading these forums, I was wondering the same thing. As a kid I used to go plane spotting for some years. It seems like after just going out and appreciating what we see our restless brains require some extra activity too.

So far I've not had the urge to log what I've seen ... well not written down at least, I suppose mentally I'm keeping rough count.

For me looking up is about locating myself in the universe. I also find the science behind what we know amazing. How we know anything about these tiny pinpoints of light in the sky is incredible.

And is it more a male thing to do, cataloging information? Supposedly us men lean more towards the autistic, and such cataloging and ordering is perhaps part of that.

Seems like it's been happening for ever though - the construction of the constellations by many different ancient cultures is yet another manifestation of this.

Also if you are a trainspotter your 'I Spy Book of engine numbers is essential. By the way my old man was a train driver he started off cleaning out fire boxes, then relief fireman-fireman- relief driver then eventually became a driver, and he HATED the steam engines with a passion so when steam gave way to the diesel locos he was one happy bunny.

I once saw a movie called Trainspotting. I got the impression astronomy is a much healthier hobby... :)

^^ Beat me to it. Healthier yes but not much cheaper. The difference as far as I can see is that heroin leads to you owning more or less nothing, whereas astronomy clutters up your house like no-one's business.

Archived